Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in the Netherlands????

Original Post
Tiffany Fung · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Moving to southern Netherlands at the end of the summer. Anyone have any experience/tips on climbing crags over there? It's fairly flat and from what I've been able to see the options are slim and revolve around public outdoor walls that also double as public art. 

Adrien G. · · Fontainebleau, FR · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 115

Judging by the number of Dutch people that flock to Font, I'm almost certain there's no rocks to climb in the Netherlands. I understand one of the closest crags is Berdorf in Luxembourg (you have to be a member of an alpine club to climb there though). There's also a few crags in Belgium like Freyr (said to be very polished). Font is about a 4 hour drive. Some trad climbing on pink sandstone in Eastern France (the Vosges mountains) and Western Germany (Pfalz).

Halbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 286

The Netherlands itself has absolutely no rock at all. But being in the south of the Netherlands you have easy acces to several crags in Belgium and Germany. Climbing at some Belgium crags (Freyr included) is regulated so you need to be a member of a Dutch or Belgian alpine club. The Dutch one is NKBV, they can also provide you with information about climbing areas near the Netherlands.
There is a quite lively indoor climbing community in the Netherlands with many people taking weekend or even daytrips to Belgium to climb.

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Here you go: Excaliber Climbing tower in Groningen. (I know you mentioned being familiar with outdoor climbing walls, but this has got to be worth at least a few trips, right? Plus it looks like it has a moat. Everyone loves a moat.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing in the Netherlands????"
in the General Climbing