Mountain Project Logo

2019 gear

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472
Big B wrote:

where'd you find the videos at? I did a quick search for it on utube and nothin came up

Here and here or, google "Edelrid gigajul" and a couple videos come up.

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

Anyone know where to get a Beal Birdie?

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0
Eric and Lucie wrote:

Yes, I have used the Verso (the non-guide-mode version of the Reverso; never been a fan of guide-mode belaying) for a few years now, and it is indeed one of the best devices out there with thin ropes.  BUT, it is still not designed (or, sized) specifically for thin ropes, and when rappelling on 7.5mm ice ropes, it simply does not provide enough friction.  I keep being amazed that no manufacturer (that I knew of, as I'd never seen the Reversino) would not simply make a scaled down version of their standard ATC-style device.  Anyway, looking forward to this BD device, even though I'd rather see something from Petzl or Wild Country... but maybe BD will start a trend and the others will follow. 

Correction: just looked up the Reversino... yes, I did see this some time ago, but it is not at all the same design as the (Re)Verso... sharp edges all over and rigid keeper loop... ugh.

The original Reverso was constructed identically to the reversino, size was the only difference. That version had some of the worst holding power and rapidly produced a very sharp edge from wear. I agree 7.x ice lines are very slick! That was made me switch from a ATC guide to the Reverso, and I will add an extra carabiner or use a Vaporlock biner for more friction. So agreed yes better but.m

The DMM Buggette is a scaled down version of the Bug; although I believe no longer in production, it provided some of the best friction/resistance of any device, and is super light. weighmyrack.com/Belay/DMM-B…

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I wonder if Outdoor Research's use of PrimaLoft's "AeroGel" in their new Bitterblaze Gloves will be a game changer for cold hands during winter climbing?

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Don't worry, the heel is still soft, they just added some rubber on the sides. No reason to panic

Heh. I’ve gone through at least a couple of “it’s only a minor redesign”changes that turned my favorite shoes into shoes I never wear anymore, so panic option is definitely on the table. 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Linnaeus wrote:

The original Reverso was constructed identically to the reversino, size was the only difference. That version had some of the worst holding power and rapidly produced a very sharp edge from wear. I agree 7.x ice lines are very slick! That was made me switch from a ATC guide to the Reverso, and I will add an extra carabiner or use a Vaporlock biner for more friction. So agreed yes better but.m

The DMM Buggette is a scaled down version of the Bug; although I believe no longer in production, it provided some of the best friction/resistance of any device, and is super light. weighmyrack.com/Belay/DMM-B…

Buggette is gone, I tried to track one down a little while ago and came up dry. I’ve done the vaporlock with an atc for 7.5s, but I actually prefer doubled up attaches (the round stock). It still pays out smooth and has more brake assistance. 

I’m also a tad worried about the testarossa being screwed up, the shoe just works. Could maybe do 3.5mm instead of 4mm for more sensitivity, but most of my time in them is spent on Vaseline covered glass so wear isn’t an issue.
C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Edelrid Spock is interesting, would be cool to have a trax competitor.

The ice rock cougar titanium/composite crampons look very cool. Very light. Tried to research the company, only found a Facebook page in a language I don't read but the photos! And not a single image of the crampons.

Also, the dyneema and carbon portaledge! Sexy. Wonder if that will be an option for the trapezium? Seems so ideal.

Blue ice hummingbird! Wonder how a titanium pick fares?

New Grigri weighs 5g more, new Reverso weighs 2g less.

Edit: brand name

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

Don’t forget about dmm’s new cams 

Dana Walters 1 · · Pacific Northwest · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 212
Scott Kilts wrote: Edelrid Spock is interesting, would be cool to have a trax competitor.

The ice rock cougar titanium/composite crampons look very cool. Very light. Tried to research the company, only found a Facebook page in a language I don't read but the photos! And not a single image of the crampons.

Also, the dyneema and carbon portaledge! Sexy. Wonder if that will be an option for the trapezium? Seems so ideal.

Blue ice hummingbird! Wonder how a titanium pick fares?

New Grigri weighs 5g more, new Reverso weighs 2g less.

Edit: brand name

Ice Rock is Russian

http://icerockequipment.com/en/main
C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15
Dana Walters 1 wrote:

Ice Rock is Russian

http://icerockequipment.com/en/main

Thanks!

pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone know what the new BD tents are? There is a video for the UL tent, but there also looked to be a single wall Firstlight-like tent in the background -- but with vents on top and different features.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Kyle Tarry wrote:

DMM Pivot is rated down to 7.3 mm.  Reverso 4 is rated to 7.5 mm, and the new version supposedly will go down to 6.9 mm.  Why own two different ATCs when one device can do it all?

If you believe any of the current devices used with ropes at the bottom of the size range actually give acceptable (not good, just acceptable) braking force then you are in for a big dissapointment one day.

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

Whole lot of garbage here in search of a use? I'm also curious about the Edelrid Spoc.... other than that, holy balls is there so much junk here.

Not stoked about C4 changes. I guess the Camp Dyon has a purpose if you're real nit-picky? Climb Tech Tricky, what a piece of garbage, are you supposed to rack those gate open, or are you supposed to get to a stance - prop the gate- and then stretch clip a badly placed bolt/bolt below the proper stance, WTF?? Dragonfly, useless with other competitors, but will satisfy those who blow their load over DMM marketing and gets DMM a competitive small cam. Would be psyched about the 5.10 mid top, but $180 tag matches TC's so its a no-brainer. Mammut re-releases their awesome helmet, except with big f@#$% holes in it to match every other garbage helmet in the industry, and oh, added $100 to the tag, great! Petzl's Meteor.... LOLOLOL, why don't you just glue cardboard to your head each day.

I didn't stare at every harness out, but has someone stepped up to fill the whole left by Petzl when they removed their ice clipper slots from the Corax??? Please let me know....

Damn, when did I become so cynical....

Justin Fisher · · Holladay, UT · Joined May 2013 · Points: 26
John Clark wrote: Anyone know where to get a Beal Birdie?

They haven't landed in the US yet, but will probably be in Backcountry, Gear Express, and other retailers as soon as they get here.  Maybe by the end of the year?  

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 30

The weighmyrack write up mentions that the cam in the Grigri was redesigned. Has anyone been able to find out what it was redesigned to improve/change? (smoothness, rope diameters, something else?)

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
https://youtu.be/zwzM_yJGrK8

Looks like rope diameter is the biggest one.  It’s basically a GriGri+ without the gimmicky TR mode or anti-panic break (or maybe that one’s still there?).
pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

To answer my own question from above:
Looks like BD is releasing a 3 person model of the FirstLight (!) and redesigning the old 2 person one as well:

https://gearjunkie.com/black-diamond-distance-tent-2019

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 947
Tom Sherman wrote: Whole lot of garbage here in search of a use? I'm also curious about the Edelrid Spoc.... other than that, holy balls is there so much junk here.

Not stoked about C4 changes. I guess the Camp Dyon has a purpose if you're real nit-picky? Climb Tech Tricky, what a piece of garbage, are you supposed to rack those gate open, or are you supposed to get to a stance - prop the gate- and then stretch clip a badly placed bolt/bolt below the proper stance, WTF?? Dragonfly, useless with other competitors, but will satisfy those who blow their load over DMM marketing and gets DMM a competitive small cam. Would be psyched about the 5.10 mid top, but $180 tag matches TC's so its a no-brainer. Mammut re-releases their awesome helmet, except with big f@#$% holes in it to match every other garbage helmet in the industry, and oh, added $100 to the tag, great! Petzl's Meteor.... LOLOLOL, why don't you just glue cardboard to your head each day.

I didn't stare at every harness out, but has someone stepped up to fill the whole left by Petzl when they removed their ice clipper slots from the Corax??? Please let me know....

The Wall Rider MIPS is the same helmet as the Wall Rider but with the MIPS technology in it which noticeably reduces brain injuries from angled impacts. The technology is expensive but brain injuries are a lot more expensive. There are not extra holes cut in it. If you want to see if for yourself it will be at the Outdoor Retailer Tradeshow in Denver in two weeks.

Nkane 1 · · East Bay, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 140

Very sad about the demise of the BD Chaos if that rumor is true.

Brent D · · New England · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 279
Tom Sherman wrote: Whole lot of garbage here in search of a use? I'm also curious about the Edelrid Spoc.... other than that, holy balls is there so much junk here.

The Dyon is just a key lock wiregate, idk what’s nitpicky about that. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "2019 gear"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.