Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Need some advice for a gym harness.

Original Post
David Anders · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Hi all,

I'm looking for my first harness that will be mainly used in the gym. I've seen some people using Arcteryx harness and love how sleek they look.

Im not sure if the SL 340 is worth the price tho, what are your thoughts on it? I cant seem to find much information on it. Or should i go for the next lightest option, the FL 365.

Thank you. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476

Really, you don't need a lot of features for a gym harness. Just get a light one that is cheap and you can stuff into a small bag. Save the money for a full featured harness for outdoors with nice gear loops and dual buckles so you can center it.

David Anders · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0
Tim Stich wrote: Really, you don't need a lot of features for a gym harness. Just get a light one that is cheap and you can stuff into a small bag. Save the money for a full featured harness for outdoors with nice gear loops and dual buckles so you can center it.

Would you say the FL can be a do it all harness? Or its in this weird place where its in the middle of everything. 

petzl logic · · Montreal, QC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

get the red ones.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Go to your local shop and hang in a bunch and buy the one you like. Try the dead bird ones first if you like them. Are they worth the money for the gym? Almost certainly not. Are they comfortable? Yes, if they fit. 

Do not buy a harness you haven't hung in. 

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Black Diamond Solution. As lightweight and sleek as the dead bird harness at 1/2 the price. 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I just bought a BD Momentum for the gym because it was on sale for less than $40. Pretty comfortable, has a lot of features I like, and it was really cheap. Did I say it was cheap?

Dead Bird makes a very high end product, that you will not be able to realize until you have more time on the tools, so to speak.  CAMP also makes some really cheap harnesses that you can get on sale for about $40.

I'll bet if you start trad climbing you'll get a different harness no matter what you buy right now.

petzl logic · · Montreal, QC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

he should just start trad climbing now anyway. those ultralights would look great on the arc’tyrex

Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 295
Tim Stich wrote: Really, you don't need a lot of features for a gym harness. Just get a light one that is cheap and you can stuff into a small bag. Save the money for a full featured harness for outdoors with nice gear loops and dual buckles so you can center it.

Tim, what brand makes the dual buckles?  I can’t find a harness where my left gear loops don’t sit too far back.  I’m sizing up to an XL which helps but doesn’t solve it.  Thanks.

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

For the gym buy the cheapest harness that fits you well. No need to spend $100 or more on a harness for the gym. More than 1 gear loop, a haul loop, ice clipper slots, dual buckles, etc. just aren't useful in the gym. The only consideration other than fit I use for a gym harness is how fast you can put it on/take it off. BD Momentum for the gym, more featured harness for outside. I definitely don't want to be beating up and wasting miles on a $100 harness in the gym.

Jim - some of the MM harnesses (like the Cadillac) have dual buckles.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 773
Jim Turner wrote:

Tim, what brand makes the dual buckles?  I can’t find a harness where my left gear loops don’t sit too far back.  I’m sizing up to an XL which helps but doesn’t solve it.  Thanks.

I have a CAMP Jasper, four buckles, all double back and long tails. I like it a lot! I wanted it to be really adjustable for my first ice climbing trip last winter. So, it goes on over heaps of clothes, or tank top and shorts.

I also have an Edelrid harness where the webbing goes through the waist, so you can slide it where you want it. Only three buckles on that one.

EDIT to add, the Edelrid is a "guest" harness, and fits a really big range of sizes, with the moveable waist belt.

Best, OLH
Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

I have owned many harnesses, I finally bit the bullet and bought the FL365 before I took a 4 month trip to SE Asia. It was pricey, but it is hands down the most comfortable harness I have ever been in. More comfortable than my Mammut Realization shorts or my Yates shield harness.

Prior, my sport harness was a BD Ozone that I really loved. But the dead bird harnesses are leaps and bounds above it. I did try on the BD Solution and Zone harnesses but the sizing has changed on the new BD harnesses.

In short, you don’t need an Arc’teyx, but they are the most comfortable harnesses IMO.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I really like Misty Mountain products, but there is no way I would spend well over $100 for a gym harness. Like previous posters said, a gym harness should be cheap. Who cares if it isn't perfectly centered, your not going to even be hanging draws off it, much less gear.

But if you really insist on the centered deal, CAMP makes something called a Jasper Harness, with two buckles, one on each hip, for about $70.

There is a reason there isn't a single sport harness made with the double buckle, because it isn't a big deal for it to be slightly off center.

Dylan Pike · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 35
Old lady H wrote:

I have a CAMP Jasper, four buckles, all double back and long tails. I like it a lot! I wanted it to be really adjustable for my first ice climbing trip last winter. So, it goes on over heaps of clothes, or tank top and shorts.

I also have an Edelrid harness where the webbing goes through the waist, so you can slide it where you want it. Only three buckles on that one.

EDIT to add, the Edelrid is a "guest" harness, and fits a really big range of sizes, with the moveable waist belt.

Best, OLH

No offense to OLH, but that CAMP Jasper is a terrible harness. I bought one and it has tormented me for like 8 months. I got so mad at it one weekend that I went and bought another harness on the following Monday. I recommend a basic offering from BD or Petzl.

Dylan Pike wrote:

No offense to OLH, but that CAMP Jasper is a terrible harness. I bought one and it has tormented me for like 8 months. I got so mad at it one weekend that I went and bought another harness on the following Monday. I recommend a basic offering from BD or Petzl.

Lol! Well, this is why they need to be tried out, eh? I tried on everything on offer locally here, but my first priority was leg loops I could easily undo. That really limited the selection. At 4'11", the sizing gets interesting too. Mens work better, for a shorter rise, but, I need a smallish waist, without tiny legs. Every body is different...

You might like the edelrid, adjustable, and not expensive.

Best, OLH
Steven Claggett · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Jim Turner wrote:

Dual buckles are one way to go, but personally, they have always aggravated me. Look into brands that have a floating hip belt. Edelrid and DMM both make harnesses with that option, as well as others I'm sure.

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 200

The Wild Country Synchro is another entry in the two-buckle waist belt, very comfy, lots of gear loops.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476
Jim Turner wrote:

A lot of them do that. Petzl Corax has the dual buckles and it's pretty cheap, too. 

I also liked the Corax, when I tried them on. Just couldn't find a small in town, at the time.

Best, OLH

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Need some advice for a gym harness. "