Mountain Project Logo

Adams and hood ski conditions

Original Post
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Is there any worthwhile skiing to be done on hood or adams or is it pretty sun cupped and not so fun by now?

James Cho · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 6

Also interested 

Marshall Baxter · · Washington/Oregon · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Rode the SW Chutes about a week ago. Little icy up top and a lot of runnels to ride over further down. Still a good day of shred (It’s July! We can only expect so much) and was worth it. My buddy and I had a great time.

Matt Castelli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 240

was on hood 2 weeks ago, bailed on leuthold, went up west rim, and wished I had skis for the descent down the hogsback route. Other skiers looked like they had a good time

Parker Cunneen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 26

Are the pearly gates still climbable or should I take the shoot, headed up early next week

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 480
Parker Cunneen wrote: Are the pearly gates still climbable or should I take the shoot, headed up early next week

Put crampons on after the very top lift.
Old Chutes is what is available, pearly is completely melted out and full of loose rock.
No steps were kicked out, but plenty of sun cups to step on.
Early (3 - 6 am) snow is solid and front pointing is easy. Sun popped up at 5:26 ish... by the time I got back to the ski resort slopes they were softening up.
Evidence of rock fall, but not nearly as much as what I was expecting to see compared to what the inter web and rangers told me. Right on the climbers trail there were 2 large microwave sized boulders that looked like they had recently come down (which is what I’d expect on any route anywhere) But nothing fell or moved while moving through the route.
Left at 2:40 am, summited at 5:38, got back to car at 7:50 am, no glisadding, skiing, snowboarding, just walking. Beautiful mountain.

Pearly is out7/19/2018
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Adams and hood ski conditions "