Mountain Project Logo

Moab - Camp and Climb Suggestions

Original Post
Bob Klaas · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 76

I'm heading to Moab in early October with a couple friends. We're looking at spending 5-7 days in the area. It's not a lot of time, so we're trying to be efficient with our planning to make the most of it. I'm searching for campsite and climbing area recommendations. I've never been to eastern Utah, so it will be a new experience. Your recommendation is appreciated!

1. Were looking for a campsite (showers are a plus) that is close to the areas we will be climbing.
  2. We're looking for climbing areas with a good concentration of moderate routes.
  3. Any additional recommendations are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Mike Robinson · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,405

Ice cream parlor before noon, shower at rec center, Dakota Crags on geyser pass rd in the La Sals....camp sites everywhere from primitive to RV parks here...msg me if u need more info

James Lee · · Mobile, AL · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 20

I wouldnt worry about the bath house as much. In the desert you dont sweat, just get a little dusty. There is sooo much free awesome primitive camping, we just go into town every three days or so, to shower at the Moab Aquatic Center ($5). Also, the climbing areas are not that far apart, so driving place to place is not big a deal, whether it is Fisher Towers, Arches NP, or Wall Street. If you can climb 5.10, trad and sport, there are plenty of options everywhere, if not, you are going to have to move around to fill your days anyway.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Moab - Camp and Climb Suggestions"