Mountain Project Logo

White Maiden’s Walkway start. Question about the 5.4 vs 5.6

Original Post
Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

My friend and I climbed White Maiden’s Walkway yesterday and had a blast. In the guide book, Best Climbs Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks by Bob Gaines he describes pitch 1.

“Climb steep corners and flakes (5.4) just right of the tree up to ledges and several pine tree, ... An alternate start is about 40 ft to the right, up a crack (5.6) in a small right-facing trough/corner.”

Is the 5.4 start that Gaines mentions the blue line? Is the red line the alternate 5.6 start?

Based on pictures and other descriptions we did the red line but I was wondering about it after reading Gaines’ description. It was still fun but the first couple of moves got my attention when compared to other 5.4’s I’ve climbed at Tahquitz. 

Dunder . · · Bakersfield ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I really need to come down and try some of these spicy Tahquitz and Suicide 5.6- climbs.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 482

Whats the difference 5.6 to 5.4, not much.

Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20
Jeffrey Constine wrote: Whats the difference 5.6 to 5.4, not much.

Answering a question with a question. Hmmm...

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 287

I remember that being Tahquitz 5.6 with a Jtree start

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,405
Don B wrote: My friend and I climbed White Maiden’s Walkway yesterday and had a blast. In the guide book, Best Climbs Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks by Bob Gaines he describes pitch 1.

“Climb steep corners and flakes (5.4) just right of the tree up to ledges and several pine tree, ... An alternate start is about 40 ft to the right, up a crack (5.6) in a small right-facing trough/corner.”

Is the 5.4 start that Gaines mentions the blue line? Is the red line the alternate 5.6 start?

Based on pictures and other descriptions we did the red line but I was wondering about it after reading Gaines’ description. It was still fun but the first couple of moves got my attention when compared to other 5.4’s I’ve climbed at Tahquitz. 

I've usually done the red line, both lines are about the same difficulty.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "White Maiden’s Walkway start. Question about th…"
in the Southern California