Mountain Project Logo

Christian Huber dies in avalanche on Pakistan mountain

Original Post
Ross Swanson · · Pinewood Springs · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 2,191

From Denver Post
Karrar Haidri, secretary of Alpine Club of Pakistan, said mountaineer Christian Huber was killed when an avalanche hit the climbers’ tent Friday night during a strong storm at a height of 6,455 yards on Ultar Sar Peak in the Hunza Valley.

Officials said the other two mountaineers in the group, Bruce Normand and Timothy Miller, suffered injuries but were safe. Helicopters were being sent to rescue them.
The three-member expedition started in late May and was permitted to go until the first week of July. The team was being managed by Higher Ground Expeditions, a tour operating company in Hunza Valley.
While Huber was identified as Austrian, he has been living in Louisville and was working for Louisville’s Inovonics Wireless Corporation as a radio frequency and electronic engineer.

Climbed with Christian couple of times, was extremely motivated and a great guy, rest in peace buddy.

My heart goes out to Sarah and Caleb.

Aanif Zia Taimuri · · Bahawalpur, PK · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 16

Heard about it... It was tragedy!!! May his soul rest in peace...!!! Atleast he died doing what he loved the most.
About the other climbers, I heard they have been rescued already.

Terry Parker · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 0

What a shock to see this today. I worked with him and saw him a few days before his trip. Christian was one of the strongest and most graceful climbers I have ever seen. He was supportive and always happy to help this climber of much lesser skill. My sympathy to his family for their loss.

Full story: rockandice.com/climbing-new…;

Ames A. Blaze · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Thanks for posting this Ross.  Christian was the first partner that took me out ice climbing last year as I recovered.  After our climb we had drinks at Ed's Cantina.  He said he'd keep in touch via email as he went on his expedition but never responded to my inquiries.  Now I know.  He had the whole package; confidence, strength, grace and humility.  He critiqued me at dinner and said I needed to work on my endurance.  He'll have to watch me from above now as I dance up the ice in his honor.  Rest in peace Christian.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Christian Huber dies in avalanche on Pakistan m…"