Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Sedona climbing scene?

Original Post
Dave Mencel · · Menomonee Falls, WI · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

May be moving to Sedona - anyone have info on how the climbing scene is? Any info is appreciated - culture, strength of community, favorite crags, etc.

What's the best hangouts for climbers? I'll be down there in two weekends from now to check out the area - advice on places to visit is most welcome!

My wife is NOT a climber (WTF, right?) so I need to meet new peeps or I don't climb!

Nick0001 · · Tucson, Az · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

From my understanding Sedona has a lot of Trad climbing (tough grades too) with sport areas a little travel is required but you're up in Northern AZ so its all good.

Austin Kaiser · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 62

Glad to hear you're coming to our part of the world!

Sedona has lots of multipitch trad on sandstone, with a couple of single-pitch sport and bouldering spots.  Flagstaff is less than 1 hour north with lots of sport and trad options too.
You'll find plenty of partners! The one downside is that there is no gym in Sedona.

I recommend checking out The Planetarium, though it will be hot and perhaps wet (unclimbable) when you come in a couple of weeks.  Otherwise, there are more moderate sport climbs at The Doctor's Office and Lower Pumphouse Wash.  I'd be glad to take you out and show you around if you have time/gear to climb when you come out in a couple of weeks.  PM me if you'd like to meet up!

Dave Mencel · · Menomonee Falls, WI · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

Thank you guys for the info,

This is sounding good, I wish I could lead harder trad routes but just haven't been putting in the time, maybe that'll change quickly with some time in Sedona. But I'm glad there is fairly close sport climbing.

I'll check out the Planetarium while I'm down there, I won't be traveling with any gear (maybe shoes/harness just in case, but going carry-on only so no gear). But it'll be good to see what's around. Are you deep in monsoons now?

Danny · · brooklyn, ny · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 25

Hey Dave - i don't live in Sedona but visited last year for 1 week in November. In a word, the climbing was awesome.

granted i climb trad (not hard) and love moab / utah, so the idea of a small sized town with ample Mexican food and adventurous tower routes IN the city limits was a paradise.

if you do move there, start piecing together a trad rack, and you'll have tons of old school moderate routes so close you could do them mornings and evenings before / after work. i didn't check out the flagstaff zone but it does seem extensive.

i'll speculate that you can climb all winter long. i could imagine the summers being rough and you'll seek altitude then (mt lemmon?)

my perspective is altered by the fact that i was on vacation while there, but i loved the routes we did. towers are rad. enjoy dude.

Dave Mencel wrot
I'll check out the Planetarium while I'm down there, I won't be traveling with any gear (maybe shoes/harness just in case, but going carry-on only so no gear). But it'll be good to see what's around. Are you deep in monsoons now?

Yep, monsoons are in full swing.  Clouds, lightning, rain in the extended forecast for at least a week.  It won't be possible to climb on the sandstone :/

Nonetheless, if you are looking for climbing partners when you move out here feel free to reach out! I'm not a hard trad leader either, but I'd love to show you around the sport crags in NorAZ or get some trad experience with you.  
David Rozul · · San Diego · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10
Austin Kaiser wrote:

Yep, monsoons are in full swing.  Clouds, lightning, rain in the extended forecast for at least a week.  It won't be possible to climb on the sandstone :/

Nonetheless, if you are looking for climbing partners when you move out here feel free to reach out! I'm not a hard trad leader either, but I'd love to show you around the sport crags in NorAZ or get some trad experience with you.  
Hi Austin or anyone else who may be free,  

I'm planning on traveling through Sedona/Flagstaff area next week Aug 8 - 10ish (definitely flexible) and would love to link up if you're free to climb. Think we'll pretty similar climbers! Happy to provide ample amounts of stoke and positive vibes!

-David 
David Rozul wrote: Hi Austin or anyone else who may be free,  

I'm planning on traveling through Sedona/Flagstaff area next week Aug 8 - 10ish (definitely flexible) and would love to link up if you're free to climb. Think we'll pretty similar climbers! Happy to provide ample amounts of stoke and positive vibes!

-David 

I'll message you!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Sedona climbing scene?"
in the Arizona & New Mexico