Mountain Project Logo

Easy trad recommendations

Original Post
kck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85

I'm looking for a crag anywhere within 1 to 2 hours of Boulder for a day of 5.8 to 5.10a climbs. I'm nursing a finger injury so I am looking for pure crack climbs rather than face climbs with gear. It's also going to be hot in the sun so I'm looking for shaded cliffs.

I really want a cliff with at least 4 high-quality routes in that range in the shade. Problem is there are so many areas it is hard to narrow down an area. Not opposed to multipitch if that's what's available.

Matt Pierce · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 278
kck wrote: I'm looking for a crag anywhere within 1 to 2 hours of Boulder for a day of 5.8 to 5.10a climbs. I'm nursing a finger injury so I am looking for pure crack climbs rather than face climbs with gear. It's also going to be hot in the sun so I'm looking for shaded cliffs.

I really want a cliff with at least 4 high-quality routes in that range in the shade. Problem is there are so many areas it is hard to narrow down an area. Not opposed to multipitch if that's what's available.

That's a tough list. Pure cracks climbs? Maybe cruise up to Veedawoo?

kck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85
Matt Pierce wrote:

That's a tough list. Pure cracks climbs? Maybe cruise up to Veedawoo?

I have the guidebook, but I have never been. It looks rad though. I was hoping for something a bit closer, but if nothing else comes up that's certainly an option.
PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Castle Rock (Bailey's Overhang and Coffin, Cussin', Skunk and Curving Cracks) and Bell Buttress (Cosmosis, West Face, West Crack) are shady until afternoon.

kck wrote: I have the guidebook, but I have never been. It looks rad though. I was hoping for something a bit closer, but if nothing else comes up that's certainly an option.

Vedawoo is only about an hour 15 from Denver...

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95
Matt Pierce wrote:

Vedawoo is only about an hour 15 from Denver...

I call BS. Maybe if you drive 100 mph.

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 50

The N face of the Bastille in Eldorado Canyon is shaded until around 3-4pm at which point you can cruise over to the wind tower which will then be in the shade.

JCM wrote:

I call BS. Maybe if you drive 100 mph.

OK - fair - I've only been once but thought it was about that - my bad - but the OP did say he'd go up to 2 hours away (from Boulder)...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Easy trad recommendations"