Mountain Project Logo

Gear stashed Chasm Lake

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

The area is designated Wilderness so yeah LNT rules should probably apply.

Does RMNP have a special permit  for leaving gear?

It's a heavily used area so unfortunately it can't be a free for all. We're not talking about a low key local crag off the beaten path. Leaving gear all over the place isn't the local ethics either.

Philip Magistro · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
Long Ranger wrote: The area is designated Wilderness so yeah LNT rules should probably apply.

Does RMNP have a special permit  for leaving gear?

It's a heavily used area so unfortunately it can't be a free for all. We're not talking about a low key local crag off the beaten path. Leaving gear all over the place isn't the local ethics either.

Climbers enjoy a number of special privileges in RMNP, such as the ability to bivy with a permit in many places that non-climbers may not camp.  As such, being good stewards of the area isn't a "should", it is a must...that is, if we as climbers want to protect the resources in and access to the places we love.

There is no special permit in Rocky for leaving gear, other than the bivy regulations.  Stashing gear, be it crash pads or buckets of trad gear, is illegal.  It impacts wildlife, other visitors, and threatens our access.  Just don't do it!

Finally, please keep in mind that this is a public forum.  When you post about these issues, you are, in effect, notifying the land managers for whatever the area of concern may be.  And, in my opinion, that isn't a bad thing, just something to be aware of.  The rangers in Rocky want to work with the climbing community to address these issues, provide education, and avoid the "banhammer" while protecting the wilderness.

Regardless, it sounds like the issue has been resolved.  Thank you Nobleman, for doing your part!
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

True and relevant story:
I was on the Arrowhead on Sunday.  I found some alpine gear.  I packed it up and hauled it out.
One thing had a name on it.  I "searched" this site for that name and came upon a picture of that person submitted by another member.
That person put me in touch with the original owner, who apparently lost it in a gully last June.
He'll get his gear back.

While it was not mine, it seemed the right thing to do.  As I said when my partner asked why I was packing it out: "Because at the moment it is nothing but trash."

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Gear stashed Chasm Lake"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started