Mountain Project Logo

Trad Climbing within drivable distace of Durham, NC

Original Post
ali mohammed · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 25

Hi, I am going to be in Durham at end of july. I am a California climber and never been to NC before. Hoping to get some trad climbs, 2+ pitches, and easy grades at 5.5 to 5.8. Anybody willing to partner up with me (or know somebody who can)? I have a full trad gear but not sure what to bring with me.  Available to climb on weekend of 28th and 29th.

Ali.

Anne McLaughlin · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 201

The place that fits your 2+ pitch and "drivable" is Linville Gorge. Table Rock (3 hours away) is the easiest to find and get to, so if you just have a few days, that should do it! It does get hot on some parts of the face. Rumbling Bald, near Lake Lure, is a little farther, but will be quite hot.

If you're willing to tone it down to 1, maybe 2 pitches, then go to Moore's Wall (2 hours away). It's always in the shade and closest to Durham. I hope you do find a local partner, because it's not always easy to figure out how to get down from Moore's climbs if you don't have the beta.

Welcome and enjoy our southeastern stone!

Tut alms · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Yeah! Moore’s Wall, I used to go there when I lived near Raleigh. Brings back good memories. Definitely closest to Durham, but agreed the other areas farther west are fantastic. 

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

Moores wall has some 2+ pitch stuff. Its shaded but will be warm this time of year. Good luck.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

South Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "Trad Climbing within drivable distace of Durham…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started