Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

What useless gear did you by?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 768

I've only seen two figure eight devices. One, a guy had in his stuff at the gym. I asked about it, and he said "I like to rappel FAST!!" Hmmmm....

The other time, the device was in use. A family was climbing, and dad was a scout guy. Did a lot of stuff quite differently than what seems to be taught otherwise. It looked fine to me, but whaddda I know?

I am so noob, I have not had the opportunity to place enough gear to know what is "useless"! I've nonetheless acquired a start on a rack, a fair bit of it from the kindness of others. Gotta "use" it to know what's "useless" though, lol!

That said, the micronuts got placed, and hung on, recently, by a visiting climber. That, impressed me, how well they are capable of performing, at body weight at least.

Best, OLH

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

They are significantly better than nothing at all.

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

Big wall(double) gear sling. Like gear slings w/loops, pink tri cams, black totems micro nuts and caught so many falls on ball nuts that I bought new ones. Guess  it just depends what you climb

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

Tubular webbing. Now it just sits in my closet until my 3 days a year slack-lining. Bought it to setup TR anchors at devils lake. Static line is so much nicer. 

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

a big BRO broski
sketchy shit unless the placements perfect

tbh though I didn't buy it, I had a credit at a store that wouldn't refund, and they gave me a big bro instead

Scott Kilts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
Brad Johnson wrote:MegaJul - 240 Sling - #4 cam

Everyone's #4s! You can send them to me! 

Funny how this works. I use all of these things with regularity
Ross Swanson · · Pinewood Springs · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 2,080

A set of "Rock and Rollers" but is now a collectors item, well sort of.
Was given Soloist that I've never used, a friend broke his hip when he used it for a Tyrolean: clipping it in upside down.

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50
Ross Swanson wrote: 
Was given Soloist that I've never used,

Still have it?

Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend,

most useless: PAS, deadly ATC (or other similar non braking assisted device of tube-tacular style), hexes (so big so shiny so loud so cheap! they did remind me when i was noob ...snip 

climbing fiend,

I believe you need a #11 or 10 hex on mixed route behind Zowie in RMNP, I know, I took the next smaller size which didn't fit in the "pinch" and ended up with a long runout off the belay. Hexes are occasionally useful, in this case fitting the holes instead of the side walls because the placement was a pinch, a cam was useless.

Forrest Carver wrote: I was warned by many people not to buy the below, but because I know everything and can only achieve happiness buy purchasing material goods, I bought them anyway

Very useless
-Micronuts snip...

Wait till your runout on sketchy terrain and the only placement is a micro nut, you will be so happy to have them and they weigh practically nothing. 

Peter J · · Davis, CA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 145
Ross Swanson wrote:
Wait till your runout on sketchy terrain and the only placement is a micro nut, you will be so happy to have them and they weigh practically nothing.

You'll be happy to have it until it wiggles out of the crack the moment you try to climb past it...

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

device of belay assisted braking style, for ex girlfriend.

Steve Marshall · · Concord NH · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 40
Peter J wrote:

You'll be happy to have it until it wiggles out of the crack the moment you try to climb past it...

Or you spend 10 minutes trying to place the damn thing since you never do otherwise, and realize partway through this process that you (a) could have just finished the pitch by now and (b) now are forced to finish the climb significantly more pumped than you were before trying to place the nut, making a fall even more likely, orrr (c) give up on the placement entirely and STILL have to do the moves in a more pumped state than otherwise.

Micronuts - for when your endurance training needs more severe consequences!
Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55
Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend,

device of belay assisted braking style, for ex girlfriend.

You had a girlfriend? 

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50
Blakevan wrote:

You had a girlfriend? 

Pre-op, but yea

Floyd Eggers · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 341
Blakevan wrote:

You had a girlfriend? 

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175
Dunder . wrote:

Cock breath.

Shh we're not supposed to tell anyone about last night!

Side note, wanna trade the offsets for a mastercam?
mike c · · golden · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,020

Camp Tri cams

Dunder . · · Bakersfield ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

Shh we're not supposed to tell anyone about last night!

Side note, wanna trade the offsets for a mastercam?

I actually really like them, thanks though. Still touring the eastern sierras?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 768
Ryan Swanson wrote: Dictionary

Ah, shoot. The 101 thumbs ups didn't copy, lol!!

Fun thread! Hobo and Dunder, and others, thanks for some laughs!

Best, OLH
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What useless gear did you by?"