Mountain Project Logo

What useless gear did you by?

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

a big BRO broski
sketchy shit unless the placements perfect

tbh though I didn't buy it, I had a credit at a store that wouldn't refund, and they gave me a big bro instead

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15
Brad Johnson wrote:MegaJul - 240 Sling - #4 cam

Everyone's #4s! You can send them to me! 

Funny how this works. I use all of these things with regularity
Ross Swanson · · Pinewood Springs · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 2,522

A set of "Rock and Rollers" but is now a collectors item, well sort of.
Was given Soloist that I've never used, a friend broke his hip when he used it for a Tyrolean: clipping it in upside down.

Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend,

most useless: PAS, deadly ATC (or other similar non braking assisted device of tube-tacular style), hexes (so big so shiny so loud so cheap! they did remind me when i was noob ...snip 

climbing fiend,

I believe you need a #11 or 10 hex on mixed route behind Zowie in RMNP, I know, I took the next smaller size which didn't fit in the "pinch" and ended up with a long runout off the belay. Hexes are occasionally useful, in this case fitting the holes instead of the side walls because the placement was a pinch, a cam was useless.

Forrest Carver wrote: I was warned by many people not to buy the below, but because I know everything and can only achieve happiness buy purchasing material goods, I bought them anyway

Very useless
-Micronuts snip...

Wait till your runout on sketchy terrain and the only placement is a micro nut, you will be so happy to have them and they weigh practically nothing. 
Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646
Ross Swanson wrote:
Wait till your runout on sketchy terrain and the only placement is a micro nut, you will be so happy to have them and they weigh practically nothing.

You'll be happy to have it until it wiggles out of the crack the moment you try to climb past it...

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

device of belay assisted braking style, for ex girlfriend.

Steve Marshall · · Concord NH · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45
Peter J wrote:

You'll be happy to have it until it wiggles out of the crack the moment you try to climb past it...

Or you spend 10 minutes trying to place the damn thing since you never do otherwise, and realize partway through this process that you (a) could have just finished the pitch by now and (b) now are forced to finish the climb significantly more pumped than you were before trying to place the nut, making a fall even more likely, orrr (c) give up on the placement entirely and STILL have to do the moves in a more pumped state than otherwise.

Micronuts - for when your endurance training needs more severe consequences!
Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56
Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend,

device of belay assisted braking style, for ex girlfriend.

You had a girlfriend? 

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808
Blakevan wrote:

You had a girlfriend? 

Mike C · · Co · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,046

Camp Tri cams

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53
Hobo Greg wrote:

Shh we're not supposed to tell anyone about last night!

Side note, wanna trade the offsets for a mastercam?

I actually really like them, thanks though. Still touring the eastern sierras?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Ryan Swanson wrote: Dictionary

Ah, shoot. The 101 thumbs ups didn't copy, lol!!

Fun thread! Hobo and Dunder, and others, thanks for some laughs!

Best, OLH
Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53
Hobo Greg wrote:

Hell yea brother.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous. Give a shout out if and when you make it out to the southwest sierras. Needles and dome land area.

Oh ya, OLH. Helen is it? You may call me the "D":)
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Nate Tastic wrote:

Punctuation. 

You can only buy vowels

Bogdan Petre · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,098

If you include stuff used for backcountry approaches then this is a list of stuff that comes to mind

BD hexes (wild country ones are nice on winter climbs)
Bouldering brush
Chalk bag
Classic piolet (ice tools and hybrid axes cover every use scenario and are better than the classic axe on easy routes)
Specter and large pitons (small ones see use)
Horizontal front point crampons
water filter (iodine is enough)
Indoor drytooling picks
Spot messenger
Compression sacks
Compass & maps
belay glovesAnd go do knows what else
Climbing pants though are great. Good to have something that will stop wind, dry fast, not impair mobility and pack down well. 

Rox · · Salt Lake City, UT | Squami… · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

BD Gridlock Magnetron. Basically impossible to use. Reg magnetron & screwgate gridlock are fine  

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
Bogdan P wrote: If you include stuff used for backcountry approaches then this is a list of stuff that comes to mind

BD hexes (wild country ones are nice on winter climbs)
Bouldering brush
Chalk bag
Classic piolet (ice tools and hybrid axes cover every use scenario and are better than the classic axe on easy routes)
Specter and large pitons (small ones see use)
Horizontal front point crampons
water filter (iodine is enough)
Indoor drytooling picks
Spot messenger
Compression sacks
Compass & maps
belay glovesAnd go do knows what else
Climbing pants though are great. Good to have something that will stop wind, dry fast, not impair mobility and pack down well. 

Personally, I think a water filter is worthwhile. Iodine doesn't taste great and makes you pee funny colors. 

I had a SteriPen but it was kind of a pain to use and I always wondered if it really worked. That is probably something I regret ever buying
Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
cragmantoo wrote:

Personally, I think a water filter is worthwhile. Iodine doesn't taste great and makes you pee funny colors. 

I had a SteriPen but it was kind of a pain to use and I always wondered if it really worked. That is probably something I regret ever buying

I concur :D.....Sawyer mini is so lightweight that it seems well worth it too me.

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81
Big B wrote:

I concur :D.....Sawyer mini is so lightweight that it seems well worth it too me.

I wholeheartedly agree, but remember filters and cold don't mix well, so depending on what you mostly do it could be useless. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What useless gear did you by?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started