Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

CBD, climbing, and cancer

Original Post
s.price · · Pagosa Springs · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Does anyone have any experience with such?

Positive? Just looking for input. Been taking this approach for awhile but have yet to climb since doing so. PM me if it feels better.
I am flying home for my birthday in July and wanting to climb while I am there. Feel like it will be no problem. Little out of shape but I'm good with that.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

As long as you know the stuff you are taking doesn't put you to sleep. Some pot puts me to sleep other types don't... not really sure how much of which chemical in it causes it since most of it was undocumented. Pot no longer gets me high now so I can climb on it and it has little effect on me.

DesertDan · · On the Wind · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 5,062

Well, it’s certainly challenging to put cancer and positive into the same sentence but I’ve done it twice and my grandmother like four times. Ditto on ViperScale’s post. As far as climbing and CBDs, or any other associated derivative, I wouldn’t hesitate. Since you’ve practiced at home and know what to expect from the effects you should be fine. Edibles are harder to portion out and control how much you’re getting. I recommend sticking to smoking or vaping but if that doesn’t work for you then gummies or capsules in the 5-10mg range I find to be the easiest for controlling dosage. Bring a chaperone for backup if you wish and definitely inform your partner. Your skills don’t disappear but you might find that the average number of times you double or triple check yourself while climbing increases. From years of “scientific” armchair study and observation of myself and others in all disciplines of climbing (er..um..ah.. except speed climbing), I’ve concluded that smoking and climbing go hand in hand as much as not smoking and climbing do. I was way more concerned with how I was affected climbing-wise by the meds and chemo that the Drs handed out. Go for it S. Price! You got this!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ViperScale . wrote: As long as you know the stuff you are taking doesn't put you to sleep. Some pot puts me to sleep other types don't... not really sure how much of which chemical in it causes it since most of it was undocumented. Pot no longer gets me high now so I can climb on it and it has little effect on me.

CBD is not pot. It's a non-psychoactive component in marijuana and doesn't get you high.

DesertDan wrote: Well, it’s certainly challenging to put cancer and positive into the same sentence but I’ve done it twice and my grandmother like four times. Ditto on ViperScale’s post. As far as climbing and CBDs, or any other associated derivative, I wouldn’t hesitate. Since you’ve practiced at home and know what to expect from the effects you should be fine. Edibles are harder to portion out and control how much you’re getting. I recommend sticking to smoking or vaping but if that doesn’t work for you then gummies or capsules in the 5-10mg range I find to be the easiest for controlling dosage. Bring a chaperone for backup if you wish and definitely inform your partner. Your skills don’t disappear but you might find that the average number of times you double or triple check yourself while climbing increases. From years of “scientific” armchair study and observation of myself and others in all disciplines of climbing (er..um..ah.. except speed climbing), I’ve concluded that smoking and climbing go hand in hand as much as not smoking and climbing do. I was way more concerned with how I was affected climbing-wise by the meds and chemo that the Drs handed out. Go for it S. Price! You got this!

I have smoked pot for years often while climbing. Seems to always tighten my focus. CBD seems to make me spacey and lethargic.
Thanks Dan.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 783

I don't see how this should be an issue, if you feel up to it. Climb with a couple other people you trust, and bow to their judgement. Your also covered if you do run out of steam, or whatever.

Wish I could be there.

@ Marc, I may be wrong, but I believe some CBD products do also have THC, in small amounts. Some are also blends. I've been researching, just in case Idaho's legislature ever gets their heads out of each other's asses....probably not in my lifetime, but one can hope.

S.price, drowsiness may be too high a dosage, or, perhaps the price you pay for the effect you need. I realize your need is serious. My reading says to titrate carefully when using stronger versions (gold formula), to get the dosage right with minimal side effects. I'm glad you have something to work with that is helping!

For those interested, Earl Mindell has a new book out, "Healing with Hemp CBD Oil", that is quite simple to follow and not biased. He includes what research is out there also.

Best, OLH

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 251

CBD is used for medical reasons and contains no THC.  If a product contains both, it is designed to do so.  CBD cannot get you high, no matter how much you take of it.  It's like climbing with aspirin.  If you can climb in your condition, go for it!  Climbing is the best all around body exercise there is.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 783

Some forms of CBD can have traces of THC. No, you will not get high on it. More concentrated forms (gold formula, as stated above), can have more (they have more of everything, that's the point), but still can not make one high. However, lethargy and drowsiness are a listed side effect of CBD. That, can be managed by carefully adjusting dosage, for people like me, who would use it for more run of the mill purposes, arthritis in my case, if it was allowed. For Steve? Maybe not. He might need the high dose concentrated form, and be stuck with the side effects.

Idaho is one of only three states in the country that doesn't allow any of this. No matter how often it comes up, no matter who votes for what. Last round was merely to allow what the feds just made legal: the prescribed, very narrow usage by certain epileptics. That passed, and our governor vetoed it.

This is said, to explain why I've done my research. It's a subject that comes up here, over and over, so it is still a hot topic. And ridiculously tiring to hash out, over and over and over....

Go climb, Steve! An Old lady will be there in spirit, sir!

Hugs, kisses, all that jazz to you and the crew, and, happy birthday! Helen

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

Why are you using CBD?  From everything I have looked at CBD oil is basically useless for treating cancer in any way that you may use it as an over the counter substance.  There are plenty of studies about the substance, but studies that generate buzz are often totally removed from the actual ability to use the substances in a theraputic way.  It inhibits some cancerous cellular growth, but how are you getting the CBD to the tumor?  Just spraying it on the skin or ingesting it is not going to do it.  It is also intriguing for pain management, but again, how are you administering it?  It may be useful to supress some of the negative side effects of chemotherapy, but again, you probably are not getting it to the right spots in the right dose.

What side effects from the CBD are you concerned about that would keep you from climbing?  Even if it were getting you high, lots of folks climb high, so it is more how you react on the substance than what the substamce is, as long as you are not putting other people at risk.  As long as you can climb, go for it.  When I was going through cancer treatment, I was so wiped out that I had a hard tme walking to my car.  Any exercise was impossible.  I was also on a pretty heavy dose of opiates for pain, but I drove myself all through treatment and worked when I had the energy to do so.

johndrico · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I've been using MedReleaf's Avidekel CBD Oil for about a year now. I have it prescribed for chronic pain due to a workplace injury (i.e., not cancer).

Yes, it does contain a small amount of THC but I, personally, cannot feel the effects of that THC when I take a dose of 2-3ml. I do use THC medicinally as well, so I likely have some tolerance. YMMV.

To be honest, I don't really feel much of anything when I take CBD except reduced muscle/joint pain, mental relaxation, and deeper sleep. It's really nice after a day of hard skiing when your body feels like mashed potatoes. You might not notice the effects right away, but I definitely notice a positive difference in how sore I am the next day.

I have not used CBD while climbing, but I don't think it would be super dangerous. Maybe it's relaxing effects might take the edge off that bit of anxiety that I, personally, need to avoid complacency and keep myself and my partner safe. I do not climb while using THC. I know a lot of people do and it helps them focus and it's part of the culture, but it's outside my personal risk tolerance. I've definitely seen bros ripping bong hits and crushing beers at the crag, but I usually pick routes far enough away from them that I wouldn't know about an accident or feel obligated to help. Live and let die, IMO.

Nate K · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 240

I take CBd capsules on almost evey big climb i do, it helps me stay focused and manage fear in abetter way. There is no downside to taking CBD while climbing, in the abscence of other cannabinoids there is not noticable psychoactive effect

TheCentralScrutinizer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

So i assume by home you mean Colorado, home of legal weed? And you are looking for pain relief, not cancer cure?
You may know all the following, but to make sure:
Genetics has isolated a plethora of different cbd strains, from 50/50 mixes to 20%/1% (Remedy, Charlottes web to name a couple)
Cbd is available in many forms. I have found the most easily regulated form to be smoke or vape. Edibles, as has been noted, can be hard hitting and etc.
I personally have not had a problem with a couple of hits and climbing. I do not partake in THC, just not my thing. Cbd has helped immensely in post op pain, and (usually) at the end of a hard day.
SO, no worries on climbing, just get a low thc strain, and try before you climb!
Glad to hear you are still with us, i use your "....Be kind. Always" quote frequently, both to myself as a reminder, and sharing with others.
Be well. 

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

If your CBD is making you spacey or drowsy you should probably try another product. I once took a supposedly "100% CBD" drop product and got high as a kite. So it happens. The quality control on things isn't always the greatest. I've found the brand "Select CBD" is reliable and doesn't do that. 

trevor stuart · · Aurora, Colorado · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 105

I take cbd morning and night. If anything I can climb longer from the pain relief.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is for pain. I really didn't have specific concerns. As stated I have toked and climbed many times (reference my Solitary Refinement trip report). Just looking for input from my sisters and brothers in the climbing community.

Climbed this morning with no issues. Fell on a climb I have never fallen on before but that's cool.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "CBD, climbing, and cancer"