Mountain Project Logo

How much water to carry for upper exum from car to car?

Original Post
Ethan Turan · · Duluth, MN · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 72

Hello. I'm just trying to figure out how much water to bring for upper exum. I was planning on bringing a 2-liter bag and a smart water bottle to total 3 liters, but let me know if this is too much or too little! Thanks!

Edit: I'm also considering bringing a water filter to top off before the lower saddle

Eric Seiler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 256

From memory of about two years ago (late august), there was a trickling spring up there on the lower saddle itself. Bring some tablets or a purifier and you can likely get water that high, which changes your equation a lot. I would check with rangers or someone who works the area if possible and make sure it's running there if it's going to be part of the plan. Regardless, there's definitely a good stream in the boulder field on the approach about an hour below or so. Either way, plan on refilling rather than hauling everything, for sure. 

Dennis · · Albany, NY · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 555

Agree with refilling rather than hauling. The trail follows a stream most of the way. 

Last Sep there was an active spring with a hose at the saddle between Middle and the Grand. It's on the climber's left just as you  attain the saddle proper after the 4th class rope climb and some switch backs. I believe you should see the guide hut in the distance, but it's about 100 yards away.  I'll see if I can dig up a photo. 

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196
Dennis wrote: Agree with refilling rather than hauling. The trail follows a stream most of the way. 

Last Sep there was an active spring with a hose at the saddle between Middle and the Grand. It's on the climber's left just as you  attain the saddle proper after the 4th class rope climb and some switch backs. I believe you should see the guide hut in the distance, but it's about 100 yards away.  I'll see if I can dig up a photo. 

That's pretty much spot on, and as others have said, there's a very convenient water source for filtering at the base of the boulder field.  A two liter bladder should suffice.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

No more than 2 liters at any one time.  I leave the car with one, refill at the micro spring above the first switchback after the trail junction that splits between the valley floor trail and the Garnett canyon trail.  Then I refill at the hose at the lower saddle, then refill again at the lower saddle on the way down and then again at the micro spring.  

-No need for a filter at any one of these places, at least in my experiences in the past.
-If you do bring a filter, then I would carry one liter all the way up to the lower saddle, as you can fill back up in a lot of places.  Then go to the top with 2 liters (max) and back to the lower saddle for a refill and down with one full on you.  That way you are only carrying ~2 lbs of water at any one time, except for the summit push.  All depends on what you need and how hot it is I guess.

Ethan Turan · · Duluth, MN · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 72

Thanks, everyone! Having water on the way will simplify things alot. Happy Climbing

Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165

Seconding what Jugs said on the filter.  If you're concerned, bring a steri-pen to save weight/space, but I'd have no qualms about skipping the filter there.

Dennis · · Albany, NY · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 555

We did not filter the water at the lower saddle spring and our stools were well formed. 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I carry no more than a liter en route to the lower saddle.  Then I top off for the upper mountain.

There's plenty of water along the trail.  And, given how juicy the winter was, I'd think the water at the lower saddle should flow most of the summer.

I never use a filter in the Tetons, but, I will iodine a source I'm not familiar with.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

2 liters from the Saddle to the top should be fine.  As said here, most people don't filter from the lower saddle and the spring atop Petzoldt caves. However, there is water in Garnett canyon and on the Moraine approaching the saddle that should definitely be filtered.

Carrying an extra liter will not be what makes or breaks your Upper Exum attempt. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "How much water to carry for upper exum from car…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started