Mountain Project Logo

Deep Water Solo Possibilities in Minnesota

Original Post
Graham Kolb · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 142

Wondering if anyone knows of/would be willing to share places they think would make good spots for some deep water solo bouldering in the State of Minnesota. I know there is a lot up in Jeff's World on the MN/Canada Border, and if you aren't afraid of drowning Hell's Gate in Banning State Park might work; but MN is the land of 10,000 lakes, and I suspect there are a lot more spots out there that have good quality rock over deep enough water that I just don't know of.

Try to recommend legal-ish spots if you wanna share (e.g. climbing over the St. Croix river is a touchy subject, don't want to do anything that would harm climbing public image/restrict access to existing/future crags)

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10
Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Lots of places above the cold waters of Superior on the north shore, but I can’t say you will find perfect rock everywhere. 

Andy Bennett · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 676

Rock of Ages Lake in the BWaters

Bill Thompson · · Marquette, MI · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 245
Bill Thompson · · Marquette, MI · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 245

Not Minnesota but the UP of Michigan

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Lots in the bwca. 

Daniel Hamilton · · Iron Range, MN · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Some potential @ lake orebegone in gilbert. Look in the rock cut to the west of the beach. Same general area people cliff jump.

Peter Scott · · Pequot Lakes, MN · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 42

Taylors Falls has some great traverses along the river on the MN side. People have been deep water soloing there since before it was called that.

Petah Lenz · · minneapolis/st.paul · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 205
Peter L Scott wrote: Taylors Falls has some great traverses along the river on the MN side. People have been deep water soloing there since before it was called that.

Keep in mind that this can earn you an expensive ticket from one of Wisconsin's finest Conservation Officers. Speaking from experience....

Peter Scott · · Pequot Lakes, MN · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 42
Petah Lenz wrote:

Keep in mind that this can earn you an expensive ticket from one of Wisconsin's finest Conservation Officers. Speaking from experience....

They won't let you do nothing now days . The world has gone mad, mad I tell ya. By the way, how did a WI guy give you a ticket in MN?

Tyler Draper · · Zimmerman, MN · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Cant speak from experience, but iv heard quarry park in st. cloud has potential. 

Logan Anderson · · Central ND · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 155
Tyler Draper wrote: Cant speak from experience, but iv heard quarry park in st. cloud has potential. 

There is some DWS to be done but the rock is normally pretty grimy and it’s only really a couple low traverses that are safe.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Deep Water Solo Possibilities in Minnesota"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started