Mountain Project Logo

Dolomites Itinerary help- please please review

Original Post
Amrutha Renganathan · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 35

Hello Everyone!
I'm hoping to get your advice and suggestions on the itinerary I have so far for my solo trip to the Dolomites. I included it below. If you see any sections you would like to JOIN for, PLEASE let me know as well:)

I will be there July 27- August 25th. Please let me know if you see better paths to take or things I should not miss. I wanted to spend the first 10 days in the Cortina area and the last 20 days doing the Alta via 2 from Santa Maddelena. I added a 6 day variation to see Sassalungo and Rosengarten. I'm an experienced rock climber (can lead 5.11 sport/ can't lead trad but will follow) and am willing to hire a guide for about 6-7 days scattered throughout of the trip- if you see areas along my path or in the areas listed that are spectacular for climbing please tell me! Otherwise I am willing to hike crazy long distances and do lots of via ferratas. If you know great climbing guides I can hire that can meet me in the climbing places listed please let me know. Also, what is your favorite via ferrata lanyard? I'll post details for the last 6 days once I have them.

(First 5 days can be rearranged based on availability/ weather)
28-Jul Venice airport > tre croci pass > rifugio vandeli at Lake sorapiss/ overnight @ rifugio Vandeli

29-Jul Sorapis circuit/via ferrata ~ overnight tbd

30-Jul Ivano Dibona Via Ferrata/ Mt. Cristalo ~ overnight tbd

31-Jul Tre Cime: via ferratas and climb if partner avail or I hire a guide~ hopefully overnight locatelli

1-Aug Tre Cime ~ overnight tbd

2-Aug get to rifugio lagazuoi in an interesting way/ maybe climb ~ overnight @
Rifugio Lagazuoi

3-Aug giovano lipella vf to tofana di rozes summit ~ overnight @ Rifugio Giussani

4-Aug Punta Anna vf to Tofane di mezzo summit ~ overnight @ Rifugio Giussani

5-Aug Ferrata ra gussela/ Averau/NuvolauPasso Giau, or maybe climb near Rifugio Averau ~ overnight @ Averau

6-Aug Sport Climb in Cinque Torri (find partner or or hire guide)~ overnight @ Rifugio Cinque Torri

7-Aug Get to Val di funes/Santa Magdelena in an interesting way. ( let me know great hikes) Explore Seceda either today or tomorrow~ overnight @ Santa Maddelena

8-Aug Maybe Sas Putia,> Adolf Munkel trail> Sas Riagas>Rifugio Frienze (or do sas riagas on next day depending on time) ~ overnight @ Rifugio Frienze

9-Aug Rifugio Frienze to passo gardena maybe climb in frea/ this would change if doing sas riagas from yesterday~ overnight at passo gardena or rifugio piciadou

10-Aug vf brigata tridentenia > boe/ piz boe~ overnight @ boe or sasso pordoi

11-Aug hike through via del pan, cable car up marmolada, maybe via ferrata al trincee.~ sleep here or take taxi to sella pass and sleep in sella pass

12-Aug climb something awesome in sella pass or surrounding area then take last cable car at 4:45pm to toni demetz and sleep in tony demetz. Option two: take cable car to tony demetz in
morning and climb something at sassalungo. Either option would need a climbing partner or guide~ overnight @ tony demetz

13-Aug tony demetz to alps di tires rifugio.~ overnight @ alps di tires

14-Aug laurenzi via ferrata~ overnight @ alps di tires

15-Aug molignion via ferrta and passo principe or antermoia ~ overnight @ passo principe or antermoia

16-Aug climb vajolet towers on 16th or 17th- hire guide ~ rifugio alberto

17-Aug rosengarten via ferratas or climbing ~ rifugio alberto

18-Aug santer pass via ferrata/ roda di vael/ > ciampade or somewhere I can hike or bus to malgo ciapella to rejoin alta via 2

19-Aug Alta Via 2 second half
20-Aug Alta Via 2 second half
21-Aug Alta Via 2 second half
22-Aug Alta Via 2 second half
23-Aug Alta Via 2 second half
24-Aug AV2 end in del piaz > taxi to venice
25-Aug fly out of venice at 11:30am

And of course if you want to join for an of the above let me know:) I'm excited to hear your suggestions! I have the tabacco maps so feel free to list those routes.

Thank you!!!

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608

So far as I can tell, it's a great itinerary.
Surely you did lots of serious time-consuming research to be able to create it.

My heartfelt recommendation is that you honor this careful research in this way:
On Thursday 26 July before departing, print out five copies, crumple them up and burn them.

. . . (also delete all copies on your phone or web data stores).

Because hopefully after a few days in the Dolomites you will have gained new perceptions about ways to enjoy the mountains.

And hopefully you will be meeting non-Americans with different ideas about what might be fun to try.

or it might rain and Rain.
. . . (Thunderstorms pretty dangerous in the mountains, especially anywhere near the conductive metal cable of a Via Ferrata).
or even Snow.
. . . (one year there was a big snowstorm in July and so for one day they operated the ski lifts on Tofana and so Sharon + I had a delightful morning skiing with dramatic rocks and cliffs above Cortina in the bright warm sunshine. We were the only non-Italians. We found out about it by talking with Italians, not from Americans on MountainProject).

I suggest that the highest meaning of Travel is not to demonstrate your mastery over a foreign environment by executing a brilliant plan out your own brain.

Rather allow the foreign environment to modify your brain.

Ken

Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676

I just spent 4 days it Ortisei (Val Gardena), which is an access point for Sassolungo. Feel free to message me, I could tell you all the cool stuff we did and wished we could have done!

Willem Braat · · The Hague · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Well, all I can add is to bring a car!

I might have mentioned that too, but the Original Poster seemed so determined to create a plan that did not use a car.
There are so many advantages to having a car in the Dolomites, especially to provide necessary flexibility if choosing to visit exactly in the busiest four weeks of the year.

Also since arguably the most remarkable thing about the Dolomites is not the rock quality but the views from (and fun curves of) the asphalt roads.

So for the majority of semi-local European visitors, their main activity on most days is to travel on different roads and see different views along the way (and have food and drinks at different roadside stops) -- on bicycle or motorcycle or private car or tour bus.
. . (Though private passenger cars are the "lowest caste" out on the roads, forced to yield to the other categories who are either obstructing them or deriving amusement by easily buzzing around + past them).

High-power motorcycles are the kings of the Dolomite roads.
Arguably no month-long itiinerary for the Dolomites could be considered complete without several days rental of a motorcycle.
Or at least a bicycle. Sharon rents an E-bike for a single day several times on a ten-day visit - (but she or I would never visit in high season).

Ken

Taylor Spiegelberg wrote: I just spent 4 days it Ortisei (Val Gardena), which is an access point for Sassolungo.

Yes Sharon and I normally base in that area nowadays - (find that it is better for us than Cortina).

Since it is in the German-speaking Südtirol province of Italy, we call it Gröden or Grödnertal, and call the towns St Ulrich and Wolkenstein.
Sharon was a German major in college, and she loves to visit that northwest area of the Dolomites to get her chance to speak German (along with the great road-cycling and several kinds of climbing).

She gets there by flying into MUC München and taking the train to Brixen or Bozen -- unless I pick her up at the airport and we do something around Bayern or TIrol before getting to Wolkenstein in Italy.

Easier access to a closer major airport is only one of the substantial advantages of basing ourselves in the Gröden area of the Dolomites.

Ken

Hello! You guys are great! I'll post the updated plan soon! I'm not naturally a planner...But as a female traveling solo, it makes me feel safer to know what exactly I'm doing, where I am going, and where I am staying. I then leave that with someone at home. Also, there are a few things in the Dolomites that feel like they are right out of a dream and I really want to position myself to experience them! I've decided to spoil myself and hire a guide for a bunch of things to save myself the anxiety- If there are dream climbs- ( I like slightly over hung things, aretes, and lots of exposure, let me know!)
Also, I wish I trusted myself on a motorcycle...I probably should not be on one. for everyone's sake
Yes, I like the idea of not having a car. I can always call a taxi- which is what I'll be doing several times. I want to traverse the region basically and I don't want to feel like I have to go back to a place to get my car..I'll usually be going to a different hut every night. I do understand where you are coming from though I wrestled with the decision to have one for a while.
- The other thing is..this trip is really an opportunity to be free of the things that entangle me in doubt, anxiety, and other crap that needs to go- anxiety from tons of choices, decisions, and cluttered stuff(from too much stuff) are just a few of those things. Not having a car frees me from feeling like I have 10,000 choices that I could choose from and it frees me to be present in the moment whatever that may be. I want to remember how to be present again. I may sound crazy and I don't even know if I articulated that in a way that makes sense but that's how I feel. 

So did you find an English-speaking guide available on dates that fit your itinerary?

you wrote:
> "I can always call a taxi"

That's an attractive hypothesis. Somehow I'm guessing you have not often tried that in remote mountain areas. Or in the country of Italy. Or both.

I suggest you try some advance _testing_ of the hypothesis by phoning your favorite Dolomies taxi phone numbers at different times of day to find out when anybody answers the phone or what languages they speak. And if they have the slightest intention of ever sending a driver to make a Pick Up in some of your desired locations.
? How soon a driver might be available in the midst of the busiest season?
How much it might cost, and will you be carrying that much in cash?

Leaving aside untestable questions about cellular service availability in your desired locations, and unfortunate silly restrictions of Roaming on your SIM card.

Yes! I'm working for Guide Alpine Dolomiti. They've been awesome. I'll be getting a guide for 5 days in the Sella/ Sassalungo/ Rosengarten area, one day in Tre Cime, and one for the Ivano Dibona Via Ferrata.  And Enrico will be guiding me for one day in Cinque Torri. Thanks for asking

I was most probably going to get my taxi services pre aranged. I need to find a good taxi company

Hello! Here is the updated version. The days in bold are the ones I have a guide for.

28-Jul Venice airport > tre croci pass > rifugio vandeli at Lake sorapiss/ overnight @ rifugio Vandeli

29-Jul Sorapis circuit/via ferrata ~ overnight tbd

30-Jul Ivano Dibona Via Ferrata/ Mt. Cristalo ~ overnight tbd

31-Jul Tre Cime: via ferratas and hike~ overnight Laveredo

1-Aug Tre Cime climbing. Cassin and Spigolo Giallo

2-Aug hike to rifugio lagazooi in an interesting way/or climb in saas dacia ~ overnight @ Rifugio Lagazuoi

3-Aug giovano lipella vf to tofana di rozes summit ~ overnight @ Rifugio Giussani or Lagazuoi

4-Aug Punta Anna vf to Tofane di mezzo summit ~ overnight @ Rifugio Giussani

5-Aug Ferrata ra gussela/ Averau/Nuvolau/Passo Giau,  ~ overnight @ Averau

6-Aug Sport Climb in Cinque Torri ~ overnight @ TBD

7-Aug Col Raiser lift> Seceda> Malga Brogles> hike to Santa Magdelena and explore overnight @ Santa Maddelena

8-Aug Adolf Munkel trail> Sas Riagas> Rifugio Frienze ~ overnight @ Rifugio Frienze

9-Aug Rifugio Frienze to brigatta tridentenia via ferrata> lift to Corvara

10-Aug vf brigata tridentenia > boe/ piz boe~ overnight @ rifugio campanna fassa

11-Aug hike from boe over via del pan, cable car up marmolada, maybe via ferrata al trince.>  take taxi to sella pass or take a taxi there in the morning~ sleep here or take taxi to sella pass and sleep in sella pass

12-Aug climb something in Sella pass area> Oscar Schuster Via Ferrata> Tony Demetze~ overnight @ tony demetz

13-Aug cinque dita climbing or something else in area > hike to alps di tires rifugio.~ overnight @ alps di tires

14-Aug laurenzi vf> antermoia Vf> or vajolet hut~ overnight @ vajolet hut

15-Aug molignion via ferrta and passo principe or antermoia ~ overnight @ passo principe or antermoia

16-Aug Traverse of the Vajolet towes  (climb vajolet towers today if there is instable weather today. If not, climb towers tomorrow) overnight @ Alberto

17-Aug Climb something else awesome in the Rosengarten Area/ maybe Punta Emma and other? 

18-Aug santer pass via ferrata/ roda di vael/ > ciampadie or somewhere I can hike or bus  to rejoin alta via 2

19-Aug san peligrino tof to volpi mulaz
20-Aug Volpi mulaz to pradali/ via ferrata along the way
21-Aug other via feeratas in area and stay in pradalli  or treviso
22-Aug pradiali or treviso to cereda
23-Aug cereda to boz
24-Aug boz to del piaz > taxi to venice
25-Aug fly out of venice at 11:30am

And of course if you want to join for an of the above let me know:) I'm excited to hear your suggestions! I have the tabacco maps so feel free to list those routes.

Thank you!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Dolomites Itinerary help- please please review "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started