Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

need help?

Original Post
ANH NHA · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

I bought some Scarpa Techno X women's shoes for climbing granite in New England.  I love their performance (the orange toe rubber is amazing), but even after giving them a little time to see if they stretch, the fit is incredibly painful.

I sized them so that the sole of the shoe is just a tad longer than my foot (and my toes can lay flat in the toe box).  But, the "bi-tension heel rand" shoves my toes hard into the narrow toe box and out of the heel cup.  I'm wondering if I can reduce the forward-pulling tension in the heel rand and get the fit I'm looking for.

Has anyone here modified shoes or seen a way to modify shoes (e.g. slicing or removing heel rand rubber) to reduce the heel rand tension?  In your expert opinion/experience, would this even work?  

Or I'd be happy to hear suggestions for a thin-to-fists crack shoe.  (I'm a girl by the way, but happy to try on men's shoes; I have a wide forefoot but small heel.)

Here's a picture of the shoe and its heel rand so you don't even have to go look on the internet to offer your opinion. :)

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 191

I did this to mine and it helped a bit, I also used a shoe stretcher to try and stretch the rear. Helped some but surprised not more. Will continue to try and stretch heel though. They are really close for me, just not all day comfort level comfortable yet. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
ANH NHA wrote: I bought some Scarpa Techno X women's shoes for climbing granite in New England.  I love their performance (the orange toe rubber is amazing), but even after giving them a little time to see if they stretch, the fit is incredibly painful.

I sized them so that the sole of the shoe is just a tad longer than my foot (and my toes can lay flat in the toe box).  But, the "bi-tension heel rand" shoves my toes hard into the narrow toe box and out of the heel cup.  I'm wondering if I can reduce the forward-pulling tension in the heel rand and get the fit I'm looking for.

Has anyone here modified shoes or seen a way to modify shoes (e.g. slicing or removing heel rand rubber) to reduce the heel rand tension?  In your expert opinion/experience, would this even work?  

Or I'd be happy to hear suggestions for a thin-to-fists crack shoe.  (I'm a girl by the way, but happy to try on men's shoes; I have a wide forefoot but small heel.)

Here's a picture of the shoe and its heel rand so you don't even have to go look on the internet to offer your opinion. :)

Did you try them on before you bought them? Based on the bolded statement, I assume you did, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I had to wear flip flops in in the winter for a month because Scapa’s active rand system 

Before start cutting the rubber, heat the shoes in the oven of leave them on the cars dashboard for a while. And put them on while wearing a pair or two of socks until they cool down. You don’t have to heat them on for long less than 5 mins and on the lowest temperature with the oven door open. The glue they use (contact cement) can be soften with heat, when it cools down it will conform to your foot better.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "need help?"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion