Mountain Project Logo

How do you post a new area?

Original Post
Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 296

I can’t figure out how to post a new area.

F loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 361

I think you click on the location/area it encompasses like "Eastern WA" and then on the "Add to Page" drop down you click "Sub Area".
Edit: Please understand the do's and don'ts of this platform before you add to it. 

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16,373

Seth - you have to be in an "area" that has no routes. only then will "add sub-area" appear.

John Hayes 1 · · Shorewood · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

I'm also trying to add a new area. Problem is it wouldn't be a sub area. It's just a bouldering exercise in Milwaukee that nobody's posted yet. Or am I missing something?

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16,373

John, I took a quick look at Wisconsin.  Since there's no "area" for Milwaukee (at least that I could see quickly) you'd need to be in the Area of Wisconson; then in the upper right drop-down menue, hit "add sub-area" and you'd probably want to title (name) it "Milwaukee Area".  Complete THAT "sub"-area, and then go into it and add a sub-area, perhaps called "Milwaukee Bouldering", complete THAT sub-area and, then, if appropriate, add to it a further sub-area for the particular bouldering spot (or specific boulder, if it's enough of a "stand alone") that you want to add.

Perhaps it isn't clear that from the "state level" (or country level for international places) all new "areas" are considered sub-areas of one sub-area or another; but that doesn't mean they can't be big (e.g. Devil's Lake with it's 1000+ routes, J-Tree with #### routes are sub-areas of WI and CA)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "How do you post a new area?"