Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

MADISON, WI Dudley Davis Quarry Park

Original Post
Erick Valler · · flat midwest · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 15

Hey all, I’m gonna be in the area and can’t make it out to DL, anybody know the place or wanna climb Saturday morning? Know it’s probably nothing special (or very special being right in Madison) but still wanna check it out. Any general info to know is helpful, thanks!

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

Go ahead and check it out but prepare for disappointment. The rock is very chossy and the problems are far from inspiring. Sorry to be negative about it, that's just my take on it.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I'm not sure this is the same place, but eons ago ('60s) the Hoofers used to do their practice leader fall catch in a park in Madison that contained a short sandstone outcrop. I recall being very bored and antsy hanging around on a beautiful Sunday instead of being at The Lake, so decided to climb a problem on the outcrop. I still vividly remember the hold snapping in my hand and the unpleasant landing in the scree---fortunately only scrapes and bruises resulted. Actually mine was not the worst injury of the day, as the Hoofer policy at the time was to do such 'belay tests' without gloves--and the falls ( I think a heavy bucket of concrete was the object being caught with substantial slack in the system) were definitely 'high impact'. As a result several of our party in the annual trip to Devil's Tower the following weekend climbed with heavily bandaged hands.

Erick Valler · · flat midwest · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 15

Thanks for the honest replies guys, I took the advice to heart and bit the bullet and drove up to DL. Had a blast up at The Reserve for the first time. However, If anyone else has differing opinions about a few climbs at the quarry please chime in so I can stay open minded for the future!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "MADISON, WI Dudley Davis Quarry Park "