Mountain Project Logo

... y

Original Post
Maggie Jaicomo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks

LindsayH · · Kingston, NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 55

She's conducting paid coaching sessions in a gym without being employed by the gym? I don't know a single gym that would allow that. Most that I've been into won't even allow explicit instruction by a non-employee even if they're not being paid. For example, if I take a friend climbing for the first time, I'm technically not allowed to teach him/her how to belay so they can take a belay test. I could do it outside of the gym, but not in their facilities. Might sound a little shady, but letting the gym management know what she's doing might put a stop to it pretty quickly. 

I don't really have any advice on how to approach your friend. If you feel that strongly about it, I think you just have to be honest with her and accept the fact that she probably won't take it well.

How is she able to attract clients without any sort of climbing credentials, anyway? Part of me thinks that if these people are dumb enough to pay her without making any effort to see if she's qualified, then it's their own fault. But I also completely understand the frustration of seeing someone claiming to be some sort of expert attempt to coach/teach others. 

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

Maggie, I'll send you a PM.  Let me know here if you don't see it.

Evan Jeffrey · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Eh, unless she's actually teaching them unsafe practices I probably wouldn't say anything to her; as long as her 'clients' appreciate her help and are learning something from her it shouldn't matter that she only climbs 5.10 and doesn't lead that much. As far as her charging for it, if she's trying to present herself as some kind of official instructor I'd tell the gym about it, but if these people know she's just a more experienced climber and are so grateful for her help that they're willing to give her cash for it I'd say it's their problem at that point.

She does sound kind of annoying though, I'd recommend just hanging out with her less.

Maggie Jaicomo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0
LindsayH wrote: But I also completely understand the frustration of seeing someone claiming to be some sort of expert attempt to coach/teach others. 

I think this kind of the heart of the issue. And it's primarily annoying because it's inflating her ego to where I'm hearing her lying to her "clients" about her climbing. It just sucks to see her changing into this person that I don't want to be friends with. 

Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

There is very little you will be likely able to influence her.  She has fallen into the "Expert" Egotrap and is getting considerable reinforcement from the Noobs.  Very common in Climbing Indoors, less so outside, but it does transfer under 1 pitch toprope conditions.

I think you got a nogo situation.  Sorry, but your friend is gonna be a PITA for a while.  Maybe forever.  I woundn't wait up, but you might leave the light on.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "... y"
in the Community Forum