Mountain Project Logo

Grand Teton Conditions

John Roark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
From sw on 7/11
Peter Throckmorton · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all, my partner and I are planning to climb the Cathedral traverse in a week and wondering if anyone has done it yet this season (we know its early season for it), and what conditions look like along the way. Thanks!

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,218
  • second hand info, Wednesday I was told by another climber that said the Rangers have yet to know of anyone going up the North Ridge on the Grand yet.  
Peter Throckmorton · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks Jon, I appreciate it!

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 50

Teewinot has quite a bit of snow on the East face as well...I would expect to deal with a decent amount of snow doing the Cathedral until well into August.  I was going to go up and try it this Saturday but weather looks iffy so we decided to go to the Winds.  Maybe I'll make it up next weekend, if you go Peter post up conditions and I'll do the same if I'm back up there.  

Mounir Fizari · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 135

Anyone have any updates on conditions on the grand? 

Mike Reardon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,156

No need for axes, spikes, or crampons if headed up OS/ Exum area routes.  Approach shoes are just fine.  

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 50

Still a bit of snow along the Koven and on the East Ridge of Owen otherwise everything along the Grand traverse is free of snow. The meadows are still covered in snow though (?), that was a bit surprising but not stopping anyone from climbing anything. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Grand Teton Conditions "
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas