Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Analyze this "Urban Anchor"

Original Post
Chrisitne Foltzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

New here. I posted this on my facebook. My friend said I should share it here because you all would probably enjoy it.

I work on the 20th floor of the Flatiron Building in Manhattan. My company has to the whole building and is moving out next year and there has been a lot of people coming through to analyze the current state of the building. So, I get in this morning and the woman in the office across the hall from me goes to open her window and she says out loud "What is this strange rope?" Suddenly her is assistant comes flying over and is like "Don't touch that! They are doing something." Upon further investigation we discover this:

Now, I haven't climbed much in the last few years but.... ummm... hmmmmm... yeaaa....  Especially when the user of said window hasn't been informed about it. So, I decide to go investigate a bit further and passing through several other offices and conferences rooms on the back of the building, I find about six more windows with similar setups (not all photographed because some people were busy in their offices and I didn't want to disturb.)

So I guess I glad its kind of redundant? But no one at anytime informed us through email, in person, note, memo etc, that we should not open our windows. I saw later about four guys come through the halls with rappelling and ascending gear. Another coworker on the 14 floor said he saw a rope fall past his window. I am not sure if they were all hanging off of this one anchor or how this setup was being used exactly.

I would also like to point out that the 21st floor has a stone balustrade that I would think would be far safer to anchor off of. Granted there would be a bit slight overhang to deal with, however, I believe there would be a way to rig up a directional.

Thoughts?
Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

Those white ropes are just holding the blue rope from falling it would appear.  What it is for, I do not know.

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, Maine · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 160

Not enough info to draw any conclusions, but if these are intended to support people, it might be quite sketchy...

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Chrisitne Foltzer wrote:  I am not sure if they were all hanging off of this one anchor or how this setup was being used exactly.

You don't have enough information to draw a conclusion, as said above, Chrisitne (?).

Chrisitne Foltzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Ok, so I was able to meet them as they were wrapping up the inspection for the day. The blue rope actually wraps around the entire building and the window "anchors" are redirects to bring the rope in closer to the building. Still would have been nice for them to have informed us this was going on for a whole variety of reasons. Pretty cool though to watch them help belay people from the window though. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Analyze this "Urban Anchor""