For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Colorado springs: easy scrambles for a 5 y.o.

Original Post
michael sershen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

I'll be in Colorado Springs for a few days next week with my 5 y.o. son and I'm look for some advice. In addition to some hiking and general tourist stuff I'm wondering if there are any good nearby locations for easy scrambling/climbing. I'm thinking like 5.0 stuff...or less.

My son has a harness and climbing shoes and "climbs" at the gym every few weeks. He's no wunderkind, he really only climbs the unrated kids wall and boulders, but he has lots of fun doing it. I'm happy to let him grow into the technical challenge side of things naturally. However, it would to get him some more outdoor experiences.

Locally, in New England, most of the crags have some <5.0 slabs that he can climb. Something more than just a steep path. He thinks it's the real deal if I put him in the harness/shoes.

Any ideas?

I've used the route finder, but many of the climbs listed don't seem like a great match. for example Keyhole Route is listed as 4th class, and looks cool, yet the description says more like 5.6! Yikes!
Maybe: The Never Ever Slab?

Thanks!

P.S. I have trad gear to set up anchors, if needed.

Chris Neal · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

You could try the south ridge of Kindergarten Rock in Garden of the Gods. I think my dad took me up it when I was 8 or 9. South Ridge

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 251

You could try some of the walk offs.  For adults, it may be easy, but for a 5 year old, it would be an adventure.  Put your harness and shoes on and pretend you are doing a multi pitch climb.  Use your imagination.  The only other choice you have is soloing the Pratice Slabs, setting up a TR and letting the lil' fella have some fun. 5.1 - 5.8.

Great!

Those are some good ideas that I'll look into more.
Any others are welcome.

FYI, I'd also be willing to drive ~1.5 hours from Colorado Springs to some other crag if it has good potential.

Ross D · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

Just a reminder, garden of the gods requires a free permit from the visitor center. Its really simple, emergency contact info stuff from you and they tell you not to place bolts, raptor closures, etc. It takes 30 seconds.

Evan Crumpecker · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 169
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/107085733/the-never-ever-slab

Cant think of much else around town, aside from the practice slabs at GotG that others have mentioned
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

Sayther's Wall at Red Rock Open Space has some easy slabs. You'll just need someone to belay you to the anchors. I took my daughter there a few times when she was that age.

Ok, I'll check out Sayther's wall too.

I'm sure I can find someone to belay up to set up a top rope.

Thanks

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Colorado springs: easy scrambles for a 5 y.o."
in the Colorado