Mountain Project Logo

What is a micro-take?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
ENCYCLOPEDIA TAKE-ICA

1. Femto-take = All clipping is "taking" the weight of hitting the ground off your mind, as such, anytime you clip you take off more metal weight

2. Nano-take  = When cliping at the waist the rope could keep you near the wall

3. Taking = What happens when your partner should actually be lowering you, send it clean or no send braj

4. Giga-take​ = Whipping: "I'm gonna take* the whip whip!"

5. Terra-take ​= Decking: "He took*​ the big ride."
Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

#Real Climbers clip below the knee

Zac Bristol · · Lander, WY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Vas Carmicheal wrote: Dr. Price, what happened to "everyone you meet"?

Micro take culture is extremely prevalent in hard sport climbing. It is the dirty little secret of hard sport, look at the top 10 climbers on 8a.nu. 

Here's your chance to summarily dismiss all the people talking shit.  What is a micro-take?

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

I've always disliked terms like this, and dabbing. Who gives a shit? You get to the top in the way that makes you happy or you don't.

It doesn't matter if Bill from the gym doesn't think you sent that boulder problem because your foot brushed the dirt on some contrived horizontal roof that is 2 feet off the ground. It doesn't matter if he doesn't think you "sent" some 2000' route because you just had to french free a move after 8 pitches at your limit, 14 hours in the sun and you're out of water. It doesn't matter if he thinks a couple of pounds removed by rope tension equates to cheating. On most climbs where that level is nuance is "Acceptable" the significant rope tension will likely pull you out of balance.

Types of send don't matter unless you climb to seek the approval of your peers, or you have a personal objective that aligns with the definitions. What matters is if you're happy about what you're climbing.

rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,929

I think a micro-take means you ALMOST did it clean. 

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Let's say you kinda pulled on the cam after you placed it.  You ever so slightly grabbed it for balance, you were tired and off balance and the moves were hard.  No one saw, it was no big deal.... You didn't REALLY need it.... 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

A double take is when you glance at something, look away, and then suddenly look at it again more pointedly once what you saw with your first glance registers in your brain.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

A shii-take is a Japanese mushroom known for its rich texture and smoky flavor.

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Than what is a micro double take?

Seeing something startling out of the corner of your eye, then turning and seeing out of the corner of your other eye.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

A miss-take is when an unmarried female climber takes by accident.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

An outtake is when you edit clumsy sequences out of your GoPro video.

Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Andrew Krajnik wrote: An outtake is when you edit clumsy sequences out of your GoPro video.

Ehhhh. You probably should have bailed after the shii-take.

Andrew Hess · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

This has me worried. I sometimes clip pro above waist level. This thread has gotten me thinking--especially toward the end of a pitch, the weight of the rope itself will provide a micro/nano/femto-take. I've been cheating without realizing it. Do I have to reclimb those routes? Is there a way of countering the weight of the rope. Balloons??

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Andrew Hess wrote: This has me worried. I sometimes clip pro above waist level. This thread has gotten me thinking--especially toward the end of a pitch, the weight of the rope itself will provide a micro/nano/femto-take. I've been cheating without realizing it. Do I have to reclimb those routes? Is there a way of countering the weight of the rope. Balloons??

Free solo the route. It is the only way to know you didn't cheat.

Vas Carmicheal · · Mexican Hat, UT · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 6
s.price wrote: Nothing unkind about telling the truth Vas.
Do you just walk around telling the truth all day?

If you see a morbidly obese person do you kindly let them know? 
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Vas Carmicheal wrote: Do you just walk around telling the truth all day?

If you see a morbidly obese person do you kindly let them know? 

I just don't say anything to them. Not saying something is not lying to them. If they ask me the question if they are fat I would tell the truth and say yes.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Dan Knisell wrote: Planck-take would be the smallest take possible. 

Shit, you beat me to it ><

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

undertake is what comes after "yer gonna die"

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197

Takewondo is when you fall, but by kicking your belayer in the head, you manage to stay on point.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What is a micro-take?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started