Mountain Project Logo

What is a micro-take?

Original Post
Zac Bristol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Not a troll, just generally curious.  I've seen the term used when talking about hard climbing and the validity of someones send....

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

What horseshit. You climb it clean or you don't.

csproul · · Davis, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

Not really familiar with the term, but I’d assume it is clipping over your head and take a small amount of tension from the rope that’d remove a small amount of weight.

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 80

If you and your partner are both working a route and you place all of your pride in a desperate competition to see who sends first....  when they have clipped into pro that is above their tie in-  you take in all of the slack, plus approximately 1 and a half pounds worth of their body weight.  Even if they send, they have now technically hung on the rope a bit, and hence have cheated.  But don't tell them this until AFTER you have sent - otherwise they will do the same to you.  Best to wear a go pro to have video proof of the rope going tight.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Who gives a shit? If your worried about that little stuff you’re not having enough fun. Have another beer. Both you and your buddy claim the FA as a team, and you both joke around and have a good day instead of worrying about the petty bullshit that makes fun sports way to technical and serious

Watch out for turtles,
Jeff

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

It's actually very simple: a micro-take is a take.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,775
rgold wrote: It's actually very simple: a micro-take is a take.

yes of course but what about a nano-take

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

There is an infinite sequence of weightings of continually decreasing force and/or duration.  They are all takes, although at some point they become undetectable.  At that point you have a virtual take, or VirTake if you need the street name.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
JFM wrote:

yes of course but what about a nano-take

There's no use, young man, it's takes all the way down.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,775
Tradgic Yogurt wrote:

There's no use, young man, it's takes all the way down.

femto-take?

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all takes are merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Heres Tom with the Weather." - Bill Hicks
brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87
JFM wrote:

femto-take?

Today, a young man on acid realized that all takes are merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves

Church !

Greg Shea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

whip = tera-take

as long as we're defining takes

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,185

I’m pretty sure it’s related to the term “micro penis”.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

My only exposure to the term "micro-take" was - and my memory might be off on some of the details - many months ago when some nutcase posted a nearly incoherent rant on Mountain Project about something along the lines of the proliferation of "micro-takes" among elite level sport climbers.

I don't recall said poster ever answering the question posed by many of what the hell is a micro-take.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

JFM wrote:femto-take?
Today, a young man on acid realized that all takes are merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves

brian n wrote:

Church !

Actually, without quotation marks & citing Bill Hicks as the reference it could be considered plagiarism

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
Greg Shea wrote: whip = tera-take

as long as we're defining takes

That’s a macro take.

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,615
Hamish Malin wrote:

That’s a macro take.

Right. ‘cause terra-take is when you deck. ;-) 

And so Tera-take would be confusing. Maybe the big whip should be a giga-take. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

I’m American, so I guess I’ll have to do a 3/4” take.

Dan Knisell · · Townsend, MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,377

Planck-take would be the smallest take possible. 

Taylor Krosbakken · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 280

I always make the clip at my knees. That way you can't accuse me of shit. 

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

I like how all the nerds have assembled peacefully in this thread.  It’s a trap!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "What is a micro-take?"
in the General Climbing