Mountain Project Logo

Feature request - Filters for "near me" map

Original Post
Ralen Toledo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

It would be great to have filters for the "near me" map. The filter I would love most would be for climbing type/style (i.e. trad, sport, bouldering, etc). That way, we can find whatever routes are around for the activity that we want (trad, sport, etc.) and not have to scroll through a lot of stuff that we're not looking for. Thanks!  

Dan Knisell · · MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6,367

There’s a feature that allows you to sort routes just exactly as you’re saying. All routes show up in red when you specify which type of climbing you want to do. Maybe I’m not following but could you choose an area near you and then filter the routes for what you’re looking for?

Steven Banks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

I'm with Ralen,

It's tough to find climbing areas with all the bouldering sites on my map.  I can't filter on the map, least I can't figure out how.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

Filter the map on grade, and have each dot be a little pie chart showing trad, sport, and bouldering. That really would be awesome. If each segment of the pie chart was a link to the equivalent search results, then you'd really have something.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

I think he means for the mobile app because I don't think the online version has the "Near Me" feature. When you click on that it only shows you areas with no ability to create a filter for what is being shown.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

Hmm. Both the app and the website have map based "near me" functions. Having the search function/route finder tied to map would be great. Rakkup does this. It's super useful.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Victor K wrote: Hmm. Both the app and the website have map based "near me" functions. Having the search function/route finder tied to map would be great. Rakkup does this. It's super useful.

Oh yeah, I suppose on the website you pull up the map and click the location arrow to emulate the same as the mobile based near me feature where the current location is automatic 

Kirk Hartkemeyer · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

How is this still not a feature?!?!  This app has decent info but a horrid user interface.  Very difficult to find routes of the right skill level and type.  I hate having to sort through tons of trad and boulder routes when I am looking for some sport climbing or vise versa.  Any recommendations for other apps that work?  Thanks fam

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Feature request - Filters for "near me" map"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started