Mountain Project Logo

Offwidth near B-minor Mass, DL?

Original Post
Sage . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

A friend of mine found an offwidth just around the corner (to the left) from B-minor Mass at Devil's lake. It's somewhere around 20 feet tall and goes from a nice kinda chicken wing size to squeeze chimney. I'm assuming someone has climbed it by now but can't find it here, or in any guidebook. Do any of you know who has the FA, what it's called, and or what the grade is?

Thanks, have a nice weekend

Sage

Maya L · · Chicago, IL · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 35

Isn’t that the variation to Flotsam and Jetsam?

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't read far enough down the description of Flotsam and Jetsam.

Thanks Maya

Andy Summers · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50

Nope, it's not the variation of Flotsam and Jetsam. It's on the same level as the start B-Minor Mass, right next to Manhandler. It's very straight and smooth and goes up to a small roof, with two ledges you can escape to.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,365

Did ya check Sven's book?

Tradiban wrote: Did ya check Sven's book?

Yessir. There's a small gap in the topo on page 157 (next to route 22) and I think that's the crack in question.

e;

It's the one with the human stuck inside.

Name it and post it!

That's what I've been telling Sage! He beat me to the top, and did it far more gracefully than I ever will.

Andy Summers wrote: That's what I've been telling Sage! He beat me to the top, and did it far more gracefully than I ever will.

Don't try and claim the FA because some old fart will probably try to shut you down. But go ahead name it something silly and creative.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 5,897

I might even have photos of old farts climbing it ... but certainly post it and give it a name!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

How about “Off width his head!!”?

Ted Pinson wrote: How about “Off width his head!!”?

Nice. If this one hasn't been taken elsewhere already I'm very disappointed in the climbing "community" and TP gets a gold star.

Ted Pinson wrote: How about “Off width his head!!”?

Haha, that’s actually pretty fitting! When I got up to the roof, there wasn’t a whole lot of space left for my head... it was kind of an “ear to the shoulder, grasping for holds” sort of thing.

Brian Johnson · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 45
Brian Johnson wrote:
Offwidth Your Head

You took away TPs gold star!!!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195
Brian Johnson wrote:
Offwidth Your Head

Goddamnit...and I thought I was being clever. :(.  Technically not the same, though...I say go with it Andy.

Alright yeah I'll post it in the next couple days. I thought it was around V1. Should I include a YDS grade? I think it could be a fun little lead bc the topout is a little heady and could be protected smallish (thin hands) cams.

Thanks for y'alls input,

Sage

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Offwidth near B-minor Mass, DL?"
in the Midwest