Mountain Project Logo

Best climbing carry on pack???

Original Post
Daniel Behrend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I am planning a trip that will involve me taking gear in a plane with my clothes n shit. What is the best bag for this????? Is a Creek pack able to be used as a carry on???? And How do I go through TSA with climbing gear?????

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

There have been numerous threads on this subject. Use the search function, which will yield bountiful results.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 10,444
KathyS · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 125

I usually use my 40 liter climbing pack and remove the lid and stuff that under the seat in front of me, or just leave it empty.  Don't overstuff the pack, and it should fit.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

A carry-on cannot be larger than  9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches. That may still be too large for certain aircraft, in which case you have to gate check the carry-on, even if legal size.

There are some variations depending on airline. This site has, among other useful info, a chart of 170 airlines and their carry-on max dimensions:
https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Oh, and just a few days ago there was this thread: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114435745/carry-on-bag-with-pro

BTW, I've checked my climbing gear for the last 40 years. Only had a problem once when United misrouted a bag in Denver. I had to spend an extra day in Vancouver at the start of a 3 week trip.

Daniel Behrend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote: Oh, and just a few days ago there was this thread: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114435745/carry-on-bag-with-pro

BTW, I've checked my climbing gear for the last 40 years. Only had a problem once when United misrouted a bag in Denver. I had to spend an extra day in Vancouver at the start of a 3 week trip.

could you point me in the direction of the best cheap quickdraw while your here???

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,395

A Creek Pack, esp the 50l will be WAY too big for Carry On.  I've found you have to watch the length of some of these packs as that's what will get you if you really stuff them full.  For Carry On Packs, I think 45L is about what you're looking for depending on the dimensions.  For example, the new Patagonia Crag Smith in 45l looks to be LONG.  The DMM could be an option.

I have an upcoming Euro trip and wanted to max carry on options (more for weight than loss concerns).  I ended up getting a TNF Craggaconda.  It's shape (wider than most for the same size rating) seems to be the goldilocks for me and carry on.  I wish it had some external mesh pockets ala the Crag Smith but aside from that, it seems great for my needs.

David Arredondo · · Austin, TX · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I routinely get away with an osprey talon 44, often with shoes and other junk carabinered on.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best climbing carry on pack???"