Mountain Project Logo

Santa Fe National Forest Closure

Original Post
the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

It is completely closed as of 6/1 pending further notice. This includes all Jemez Valley crags, and potentially parts of Diablo. According to the press release, other than drought conditions, the Forest Service discovered approximately 120 abandoned camp fires over the memorial weekend despite fire bans.  Please, let's not fuck this up for future access.
Also, Lincoln down south is likewise closed.

Nick Niebuhr · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

Do you know if the closure includes Pecos Canyon and the area behind Glorieta Camp (for mtn biking)? I looked at the map they provide and it's hard to tell if the Cathedral cliff right off the road is included in the National Forest.

I agree. It is hard to determine the boundaries. Maybe a phone call would do. However, the pecos district is included in the closure. 

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Head north to Piedra in CO. Bring your drill. Tons of potential.

George Perkins · · The Dungeon, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,028

[UPDATE 7/9/18] SANTA FE NATIONAL FOREST HAS RE-OPENED.  This includes all of the following areas: Las Conchas, Upper East Fork, Area 37, Dungeon, Cochiti, Capulin, Gilman Tunnels, Ponderosa, Diablo (both sides and nearby crags, including access to Big River Wall), Pecos River Canyon, etc.
https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/07/07/santa-fe-national-forest-opens-monday-july-9/

[edit]: After some thought-- I'll try to keep all fire info relevant to popular northern NM climbing areas I hear of updated here in one place to make this helpful to others. To be clear: I'm just a regular climber --not any administrator, guidebook author, gym employee, guide, developer, etc, and I'm not associated with the National Forest or BLM-- so I hope y'all just keep going to Stone Age or SFCC.
------------------
Other OPEN areas with no issues:

-UPDATE 7/10/18: Carson NF has REOPENED. This includes all Taos area crags such as El Rito, TP, Questa, Ortegas, Comales, etc.  https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/07/09/carson-national-forest-transitioning-to-stage-2-fire-restrictions/ 

-[UPDATE 7/9/18] White Rock has RE-OPENED.  
Los Alamos County open space (popular areas include Overlook, Old New Place, Below the ONP, Gallows, Playground, New New Place) has reopened.   https://losalamosnm.us/news/stage_one_fire_restrictions
DOE White Rock crags (Potrillo, Big E, the Y) are also reopened [7/10/18].

-Some districts of Cibola National Forest still remain open [7/3/18], including: Magdalena (Enchanted Tower) and Kiowa Grasslands (Roy).

-BLM land (Socorro, Taos Gorge, NE side of Diablo) is open.  I think Mentmore is also BLM (definitely not National Forest).

-Sugarite State Park is open.

-Southern NM (e.g., Tunnel, Last Chance, Sitting Bull, Organs, etc.): Check elsewhere for info (I'm not going to follow or pay attention to it as I'm unlikely to consider going there in the summer and it's in different jurisdictions)
-----------------
update: Cibola National Forest is reopening  [7/13/18].  These include:
-Sandia District: (Sandias, Palomas, Big Block, etc) and Mountainair District (New Canyon).

djkyote · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0
George Perkins wrote:

Not after 8am today.  I pulled all the project draws yesterday, contact me if they're yours.

not mine, but thanks.  In the past sometimes it stayed open when other parts closed.  Not much left to burn really.

Phil Sakievich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 116
the schmuck wrote: It is completely closed as of 6/1 pending further notice. This includes all Jemez Valley crags, and potentially parts of Diablo. According to the press release, other than drought conditions, the Forest Service discovered approximately 120 abandoned camp fires over the memorial weekend despite fire bans.  Please, let's not fuck this up for future access.
Also, Lincoln down south is likewise closed.

Bump. The world is full of idiots. Glad they closed it, and I hope anyone who tries to light another fire gets caught and fined.  With the amount of rain we've had, fire restrictions are a no brainer. I echo the above sentiments. Climbers let's respect the ban and keep ourselves clean of conflict with the forest service. 

Haj · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 35

Two questions:

• does anyone have a copy of the closure map they can share?
  • what about the Big River Wall?
George ~ Thanks for the details!
Joe Kapala · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I hope the Sandia's stay open for a little longer, Im hoping to climb there in 2 weeks. 

https://firerestrictions.us/nm/

This seems to be pretty up to date but hard to decipher the map a bit.

Edit: Better map Link - fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO…

Haj wrote: Two questions:
  • does anyone have a copy of the closure map they can share?
  • what about the Big River Wall?
George ~ Thanks for the details!

Big river is on private land. Should be fine. 

J.Kruse · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 150

As far as I can tell, statement in the original post that the Lincoln National Forest is closed is incorrect.  Stage I restrictions for Guadalupe district and Stage II for Smokey Bear and Sacramento.  For the rest of southern NM, BLM has imposed fire restrictions starting tomorrow for Doña Ana, Otero, Luna, Sierra, Grant and Hidalgo counties which includes just about anywhere you'd be climbing.

Lincoln info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd580670.pdf

Southern NM BLM info: https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/2018/06/04/blm-issues-fire-restrictions-southern-new-mexico-including-fireworks-smoking/670408002/

Nick Niebuhr · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

Is anything around Taos closed? Specifically along the Rio Grande like John Dunn or Utopian vistas

George Perkins · · The Dungeon, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,028
Nick Niebuhr wrote: Is anything around Taos closed? Specifically along the Rio Grande like John Dunn or Utopian vistas

Rio Grande Gorge areas (BLM) should still be open.  New fire restrictions (not a closure) were enacted by the BLM starting yesterday.

https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/06/06/blm-implements-fire-restrictions-in-northern-nm-effective-june-6/

It's pretty hot in the sun on the basalt, I'd suggest you'll want to start really early, or chase shade.  Cliffs on the West side (Vista Verde, Bat Cave, Dead Cholla, Utopian Vistas, Old Stagecoach Wall, Miner's) will go into shade by early afternoon.  John's Wall and Solar Asylum are mostly sunny, most of the day.  River Wall gets morning shade.  You can climb on one side of the river at John Dunn Bridge, goof off in the river for a while, then climb on the other side.
Anna Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 115

Kiowa Grasslands (Roy, Mills Canyon area) IS open.

Yes...if you want to die of heatstroke and get eaten alive by mosquitos (unless you are dead by heatstroke :-))

Andrew Sheets · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 10

Anyone been to Diablo recently? NE side of the wash still open?

Briana Collier · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

What about the Cattle Call Wall at Las Conchas?  Anyone know if it is still open since it is on private property and not part of the forest?

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 12,153
Briana Collier wrote: What about the Cattle Call Wall at Las Conchas?  Anyone know if it is still open since it is on private property and not part of the forest?

Cattle Call is also roped off with signs and ribbons. 

Joe Kapala · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

A bit of moisture today... keeping my fingers crossed it dumps some rain in the mountains. 

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

No FIREWORKS either. Please be sensible out there people. Up in Pagosa Springs Stage 3 was just lifted. So Piedra Canyon, V rock and the rest are open again. Just in case you get the urge to head north :)

Realize many people live on the edge of these forests. Our ranch is bordered on all 4 sides by NF land. We have already had a lightning caused fire 200 yards from the house. When it was found it had burned 600 sq ft headed straight for the house. So I'm told. I am south of the Equator right now so maybe a little freaked. Lot of years on that patch of dirt.

Just don't let a moment of selfish indulgence screw up someone's life.
Thanks. Steve

Philip James · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Anybody climbed at The Shack at Diablo since the closure? Is the road still open?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Santa Fe National Forest Closure"