Mountain Project Logo

belaySAFE

Original Post
amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Top Rope anchor system

More about it on their own website - http://belaysafe.com/

Wonder what benefits are over the two-wraps-of-rope-over-steel-pipe setup that some gyms use.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

I think the biggest thing would be flexibility in how you set up top ropes for different uses. Alot of times with the bar wrap, little kids can't be lowered easily.

I saw these at CWA and they're interesting, but they're also not fast to adjust- which makes them not that appealing for me. If you could switch them quickly with a switch or lever, it'd be alot more appealing.

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

It's a shame that the gym has to cover its ass from idiots doing dumb things.  I could barely lower my wife with a grigri and a double wrapped pipe in the gym.  If I was used to that and held it wide open outside, we would be reaching our insurance deductible in a matter of an hour or two.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,768

So if you’re using the belaySafe in an indoor  multipitch scenario with two followers, do you need to carry one for each follower?

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

I think we need to talk about how to use the belaySAFE in guide mode

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

Yet another reason why I try to only lead climb in the gym.  Pulling a stiff gym rope through this thing then a GriGri is going to be a major pain.

Ngoh Seh Suan · · Singapore · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

these have been in use by the gym I go frequently in singapore for over 3 years... the only thing I'm concerned about is clueless parents bringing kids to another gym that don't have these, and decking kids instead... apart from that user-error thing, it has worked pretty well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "belaySAFE"