Mountain Project Logo

Dirtbags in the Northeast?

Original Post
Alex Abrams · · Hanover, NH · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 95

I've been traveling around out west in my van for about a year now.  I'm considering coming back to the Northeast this coming fall to enjoy the New England fall perfection.  Wondering if there is a dirtbagging scene in the area that time of year?  Is it possible to find consistent partners during the week?  I climbed in the area for 5 years before I went on the road, but I was exclusively a weekend warrior.  Areas I would want to climb in would be North Conway, Dacks, Gunks, Rumney, and others.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Most  of those areas you should be able to find folks to climb with during the week--though may be header to find places to stealth van camp in the east than out west--especially around the Gunks (though there are places). The "Dacks" is a much larger and more spread out area than the others you mention, and with somewhat less of a concentrated local scene---but you'll more likely than not find folks around Poko and Keene Valley during the week in the fall.

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

Yes, there are plenty of people to climb with, although out here you might find they prefer the terms "retired" and/or "self-employed" over "dirtbag."

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

But they all have PhD's!

Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 15

Alex, are you still planning a return to the northeast this fall? I see you were just climbing in Yosemite the past couple weeks. If you come through the Conway area - hit me up. Send me a message on Instagram, @smellybagofdirt or if you don't do that stroll into IME and you'll find plenty of partners to climb with 7 days a week. Car/van camping is pretty chill around here. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

van camping in daks and N conway pretty chill. clueless about gunks???? do they even have a wall mart?

Rosalieva · · southshore MA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

I’m always available midweek and am desperate for some solid trad partners

Paul James · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

You can boondock vancamp in topps New Paltz Unless it’s a snow storm.  That’s how the lot is posted.  Paul...

Oh and im semi-retired, self employed, vanner lol.  Available weekends and some week days.    5.7 at best....  climbing since 94. Rock and ice.

Myles Courtney · · Portland, ME · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hello fellow stone monkey! I'm looking to get out today or tomorrow for a session in Evans Notch, not far from north conway, NH.. I really want to send my 5.13a sport project there. interested?

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175
Alex Abrams wrote: I've been traveling around out west in my van for about a year now.  I'm considering coming back to the Northeast this coming fall to enjoy the New England fall perfection.  Wondering if there is a dirtbagging scene in the area that time of year?  Is it possible to find consistent partners during the week?  I climbed in the area for 5 years before I went on the road, but I was exclusively a weekend warrior.  Areas I would want to climb in would be North Conway, Dacks, Gunks, Rumney, and others.

I was the only dirt bag in Conway for six weeks two falls ago. I was the only dirt bag in the ADK for six weeks last year. So no. There is no scene. How do you not remember me telling you this?!

Erik Howes wrote: ... stroll into IME and you'll find plenty of partners to climb with 7 days a week. Car/van camping is pretty chill around here. 

Plenty of partners? I must’ve been doing it wrong! My note had zero replies and I think I found someone to climb with there (that I didn’t already know) exactly once. Ymmv. 

Sorrr for the delay in reply....  I’m in the gunks til Monday...   a little wet this morning 

Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 15

Hobo Greg when we climbed together last year you had 3 different people meet you at the north end and when I showed up was called 2 different names, from you thinking I was other people that you had anticipated meeting at the cliff. Hahaha... You crazy hobo! Memory must not be working, could be lingering symptoms from the space station direct.

Erik Howes wrote: Hobo Greg when we climbed together last year you had 3 different people meet you at the north end and when I showed up was called 2 different names, from you thinking I was other people that you had anticipated meeting at the cliff. Hahaha... You crazy hobo! Memory must not be working, could be lingering symptoms from the space station direct.

That was all MP and Facebook!

Cron · · Kittery, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

Hobo exaggerating, nah......

Cron wrote: Hobo exaggerating, nah......

Actually I think my spray is quite honest! I mean, I’ve copped to falling from space and wanting to snot rocket in a motorcycle helmet, don’t exactly have much of a filter.

Alex Abrams · · Hanover, NH · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 95
Hobo Greg wrote:

I was the only dirt bag in Conway for six weeks two falls ago. I was the only dirt bag in the ADK for six weeks last year. So no. There is no scene. How do you not remember me telling you this?!

I posted this awhile ago... before I talked to you about adks.

Simeon d · · Phila, PA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Late reply here. I climb everywhere. Hands down, my favorite climbing areas are in the North East. In particular, New York State, from the Gunks to the Daks! One thing to mention: People in the North East love climbing and are just as serious as those out west. One difference, as mentioned already, is the term "dirt bag." Most people that climb in the North East have jobs, businesses, houses, banks accounts, retirement funds, beautiful girl friends, etc. Don't get it twisted, we get out and crank it just like anywhere else in the country. For anyone traveling to the region, your not going to find areas like J Tree or the Creek, where there are hundreds of people living out of there vans for months on end. You would need to go down south for that-the Red! There, its mostly kids. Great destination though. If this information is new to anyone, don't be deterred! Mountain project is a great tool in the North East. You can almost always find a partner for rock nine months out of the year. Note: the partner you find might only have one or two days a week to climb. Thats because they probably work and do above mentioned things. Again, don't get it twisted, people in this region crank it just as hard as anywhere else. You just can't drive up to the Preserve or Spidersweb on a Tuesday morning by yourself expecting to find a partner, unfortunately. It takes a little more planning....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Dirtbags in the Northeast?"