Mountain Project Logo

Dirtbags in the Northeast?

Original Post
Alex Abrams · · Hanover, NH · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 95

I've been traveling around out west in my van for about a year now.  I'm considering coming back to the Northeast this coming fall to enjoy the New England fall perfection.  Wondering if there is a dirtbagging scene in the area that time of year?  Is it possible to find consistent partners during the week?  I climbed in the area for 5 years before I went on the road, but I was exclusively a weekend warrior.  Areas I would want to climb in would be North Conway, Dacks, Gunks, Rumney, and others.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Most  of those areas you should be able to find folks to climb with during the week--though may be header to find places to stealth van camp in the east than out west--especially around the Gunks (though there are places). The "Dacks" is a much larger and more spread out area than the others you mention, and with somewhat less of a concentrated local scene---but you'll more likely than not find folks around Poko and Keene Valley during the week in the fall.

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

Yes, there are plenty of people to climb with, although out here you might find they prefer the terms "retired" and/or "self-employed" over "dirtbag."

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

But they all have PhD's!

Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 10

Alex, are you still planning a return to the northeast this fall? I see you were just climbing in Yosemite the past couple weeks. If you come through the Conway area - hit me up. Send me a message on Instagram, @smellybagofdirt or if you don't do that stroll into IME and you'll find plenty of partners to climb with 7 days a week. Car/van camping is pretty chill around here. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

van camping in daks and N conway pretty chill. clueless about gunks???? do they even have a wall mart?

Rosalieva · · southshore MA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

I’m always available midweek and am desperate for some solid trad partners

Paul James · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 1 day ago · Points: 0

You can boondock vancamp in topps New Paltz Unless it’s a snow storm.  That’s how the lot is posted.  Paul...

Paul James · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 1 day ago · Points: 0

Oh and im semi-retired, self employed, vanner lol.  Available weekends and some week days.    5.7 at best....  climbing since 94. Rock and ice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Dirtbags in the Northeast?"