Mountain Project Logo

Missoula area

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Heading over to Missoula area from spokane area mid week for some climbing....cept...can anyone tell me where to go? Good moderate cragging. I hear blodgett canyon area but having hard time on the maps finding good single pitch stuff. What's highly rated and recommended?

jlind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

Kootenai.   Blodgett single pitch is ok.   Nice little campground though.

Marj Shinn · · Livingston, MT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 1

Kootenai Canyon is terrific! About 40 minutes south of Missoula. Heavy traffic on weekends, probably much better midweek.

Andrew Demaree · · Missoula MT · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 25

If you want more moderates Rattler Gulch near Drummond is a decent option for limestone climbing.  Kootenai is a better option in my opinion, although most of the best routes are in the 5.12 to 5.13 range. Definitely some good 5.11s and a few good 5.10s though. I would also add that even on a weekend Kootenai is never crowded (at least by climbers). I'm out there all the time and I rarely see more than 5 or 6 climbers and often no other parties at all. A great option if you don't mind a short hike, about 35 minutes, is Mill Creek. There is a freed guide to the north rim on the Mill Creek Blogspot and is also listed here on mountain project. The bolting was done with beginning and intermediate climbers in mind and hosts a decent number of quality 5.9 - 5.11 climbs. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Missoula area"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas