For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Partner for July 10 -- West Slabs?

Original Post
Dan Durst · · Richmond, Virginia · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'll be in the Heber City area on Tuesday, July 10, and am looking to get out for the day climbing, preferably on easy/moderate trad routes.  After looking around MP briefly, something like the West Slabs looks to be what I have in mind, but I have never climbed in the area and don't know what would be recommended.  I've been climbing for about six years, a lot in the gym, quite a bit of sport outside, and just started leading some easy trad last summer.

If finding a MP partner to climb with doesn't work out, I'm open to hiring a guide for the day and would also appreciate guide recommendations.

Thanks!

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

Hi Dan, I've done the route, its tons of fun. I used to be a full time guide in Zion, and I would be open to guiding you up it for less than you'd probably find at one of the organized guide schools. Feel free to DM me if your interested.

Just out of curiosity, are you more interested in the full day push to the summit of mount Olympus, or would you prefer to descend the gully just west of the route?

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 871

West slabs in July could be super hot!! 

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

agreed, no matter who you end up there with, bring tons of water and sunscreen

Dan Durst · · Richmond, Virginia · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Danger-Russ Gordon wrote: Hi Dan, I've done the route, its tons of fun. I used to be a full time guide in Zion, and I would be open to guiding you up it for less than you'd probably find at one of the organized guide schools. Feel free to DM me if your interested.

Just out of curiosity, are you more interested in the full day push to the summit of mount Olympus, or would you prefer to descend the gully just west of the route?

Thanks for the replies.  I'm just up for getting out rock climbing on classic, easy trad routes for the day.  Climbing to the summit sounds fun/adventurous, but I haven't investigated what that entails.  I'd be up for doing something with less sun exposure instead or just getting an alpine start.  Just trying to take advantage of a day available out in Utah.

Danger-Russ, I'll DM you in a couple of weeks about guiding if no volunteers reply to this thread.  Thanks again--I appreciate it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Partner for July 10 -- West Slabs?"
in the Utah Partners