Mountain Project Logo

da bears

Original Post
Randy Von Zee · · Darien, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 18,638

I've heard there are sometimes bears around parts of the Sea to Sky Highway. I'm climbing in the PNW in July and am curious then if it is a bad idea to pack a lunch out to the rock? I'm specifically interested in BC: Chek, Area 44, Nordic Rock, and WA: Exit 38, Cumberland/Big Rock, Mt. Erie.

Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Randy Von Zee wrote: I've heard there are sometimes bears around parts of the Sea to Sky Highway. I'm climbing in the PNW in July and am curious then if it is a bad idea to pack a lunch out to the rock? I'm specifically interested in BC: Chek, Area 44, Nordic Rock, and WA: Exit 38, Cumberland/Big Rock, Mt. Erie.

Bears AND mountain lions. We just had a mountain lion kill a biker near Exit 38.

There is a wide variance in the areas you mention but attacks are very rare in all of them. In general I would follow the normal hiking precautions relating to bears and mountain lions. Make noise, be aware, keep food in sealed containers at all times. But no, packing a lunch in a sealed container isn't likely to put you in danger. Keep it sealed, eat in an open area, clean up into a sealed container, you're fine.

If you're planning on camping overnight, obviously use even more care and for the love of everything don't sleep with food (sealed or otherwise) near you.
Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 565

As mentioned, use general procedures for hiking in bear and Mountain lion habitat. The exit 38 area has a few lions, while bear populations tend to be lower compared to other areas in western washington.

Mount Erie has zero large predators (unless you count the occasional coyote or eagle) but be extra aware if going to Cumberland area. It's a solid hour from the main road, and the main road is over 12 miles from the nearest highway so it's a pretty wild area. I've seen bear up there as well as cougar scat, and several of my friends who are hunters frequent that area because of that.

Keep in mind the most recent cougar death was the first one in 94 years (documented, anyway) so while it can happen, it's pretty unlikely overall. Black bear are more likely to get into your shit at night when you're not looking. Like a 250 lb rat. 

Randy Von Zee · · Darien, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 18,638

Thanks guys

Ron O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

It killed a biker? Must've stolen his patch.

(I thought those guys were supposed to be tough.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "da bears"
in the Pacific Northwest