Mountain Project Logo

clamshell packs like the Arc Teryx Muira

Original Post
Mike McKinnon · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 65

I am looking for a pack that opens like the Muira (moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/…)., I think they call it "clamshell".

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions. It will be a day pack for bouldering/hiking/ etc. 35 liter seems about right.

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 267

My friend has the North Face Cragaconda (thenorthface.com/shop/craga…) and loves it. Maybe a little larger than you were asking for, but he gets a rope, draws, food, water, shoes, harness, etc in it. Everything for a day of cragging. 

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 157
Colin O'Brien · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 140

I have the Patagonia cragsmith 40l. It carries rope, rack, harness, shoes, draws, clothes, water, and miscellany no problem.  Comfy enough, and the rigid sides are great.  

It wouldn’t be good to climb with, but it’s great as a crag pack.  The material is insanely tough too.  

Mike McKinnon · · Golden, CO · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 65

thanks for the replies. I will check out all of those.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

I am super satisfied with this one: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/mountaineering-backpack/mammut-trion-pro-50-plus-7. The clamshell part is the back panel zipping open.

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 587

I really like my older generation black and yellow Mountain Hardwear Splitter, although I eventually overloaded it to the point that I popped one of the stays through the top :(  Still use it regardless.

There are new variations on that theme (see splitter station and some later version of the splitter) but I can't speak to how these compare.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "clamshell packs like the Arc Teryx Muira"