Mountain Project Logo

Family climbing/camping trip

Original Post
Uri F · · Los Angeles · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Are any families going climbing/camping this Memorial Day weekend?  Looking for something mellow for my wife and me and our two daughters (10 and 13).  Idyllwild might be too busy and Alabama Hills might be overrun by off-road enthusiasts.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,648

Holcomb valley pinnacles!  It's usually quiet there and is a great spot for cragging with the kiddos

Justin. S · · Newhall, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

In the past few years Holcomb Valley has been completely over run and looks like a top rope climbing gym with trash being left everywhere. It’s a great place to climb for families when the groups aren’t out there though. As far as camping goes it’s most likely going to be hard to find a spot out there on a holiday weekend unless you get up there prior to Friday. With that being said if you have a vehicle with clearance you can camp right off the trails with the only down side being no fires for s’mores. 

Thanks Mike and Justin.  We went to Holcomb this time last year and it was very crowded.  We got lucky with the camping but it was hard to get on a route.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Uri.... if you think A-Hill was over run with off road enthusiasts I’m not sure if I should share this place.... Fish Wall with you.

It’s just past Kennedy Meadows... on Sherman Pass rd.  Look for Fish Campground... BLM .. a overflow campground is across the street... This is the trailhead. Find the spot all the way to the left by a stream (Fish Creek). Look upstream and you see a unimpressive rock pile .... hike for 15 min... great place to go and hang with single pitch climbing.  

EDIT: You do not need to camp at the off hwy site... lots of dirt roads, located within 2 miles, drive into the forest, pick a spot.
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/107965156/fish-creek-near-kennedy-meadows​​​

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135
Mike Womack wrote: Holcomb valley pinnacles!  It's usually quiet there and is a great spot for cragging with the kiddos

Ha ha ha ha ha.

It will be a zoo this weekend, but it is close and there is good camping in the area (if you get there early).  If you stay to the less traveled faces, you may be able to stay away from the crowds.
Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,648
Matt Himmelstein wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha.

It will be a zoo this weekend, but it is close and there is good camping in the area (if you get there early).  If you stay to the less traveled faces, you may be able to stay away from the crowds.

Dang I guess I've gotten lucky in the past with crowds over there then.  

Thanks Guy. We are going to Idyllwild this time but I’ll check out Fish Creek in the future. Looks interesting!
Uri. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Family climbing/camping trip"
in the Southern California