Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like??? 2.0

Original Post
Kaner · · Eagle · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 2,320

The original thread is locked and closed at 50 pages of home brewed climbing wall goodness:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/106606591/what-does-your-woody-look-like

But it's an awesome thread and resource and inspired me to do my own garage wall, so lets keep it going.

Our old garage had not been cleaned in probably 50 years.

Found a local craigslist deal for everything: pre-drilled boards w t-nuts installed, 300+ holds and bolts, legit foam.  It was dirty and also needed to be cleaned.  From the first Woody thread, I learned to soak the holds in vinegar, then scrubbed old grime off.
Garage required some basic structural reinforcements, then mocked up an angle and started hanging wood.
My brother helped me with the framing.  
Our experience was pretty limited but it was a really fun and rewarding project.
Not the cleanest carpentry but came together really well!
I did a bunch of sketchy solo board hanging.

First routes were set!

Nephews love it!  Jackson can now make it to the top of the wall by himself and loves jumping off.  Or having me toss him on the mat.

Don't have a great current photo, but there's a 38* wall, vertical wall and now the 83* ceiling is finished too.  Fun times!

The kiddos have been climbing on the wall a bunch, they love it.  But those little germ monsters usually climb barefoot.  How can I clean the (polyurethane?) holds while they're attached to the wooden wall?  I'm thinking just like spray, scrub disinfectant.  Lysol?  Bleach?

david quatro · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10
This is my baby. L to R: 40-vert-15-30-55
The bar is removable. I hang rings from it. 
Alec Orenstein · · Gallup, NM · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 30

Thanks for reviving this!  I was hoping someone would, since I just seriously upgraded my home gym and want to show it off.  We live 2 hours from the nearest commercial gym, so we went all out.  The left side is 40 degrees overhanging, three full sheets of ply, with a 12 inch kickboard.  Right wall is 20 degrees overhanging, same total height as the 40 degree wall.  Vertical wall on the side.  Transition is 2 feet wide at the base, and about 4 feet wide at the top.  (It was much harder to build than I anticipated, but it ended up being really awesome.  The secret = triangles.)  Built a shelf in the back for storage.

View from the front.

Good view of the transition between the 40 and 20 walls.

The storage shelf behind.

Some other observations/lessons:
   -The transition, while hard to build, is the best part of the wall.  The routes that start on the 20 and move through to the 40 are outrageously fun.
   -Chalkboard paint is really awesome, holds up well, and makes it fun to mark routes.  We just threw the holds up randomly and then "set" problems with different color chalk.  I still need to paint a few panels, but we just wanted to get the thing built.
   -Everyone who says don't bother building a vertical wall because it's boring and useless is 100% correct.  But two exceptions: (1) using the corner can be fun; and (2) we have lots of beginners come over to try it out, and it's been great to have the vertical wall for them.  It was REALLY easy to build it, so why not?
   -Use the screw-in t-nuts; thank me later.
   -The campus rungs work better than i thought screwed in between the holds on the 20 degree wall.  Just wish i had another 3-4 rows.
   -If you're new to this type of thing, trust me, buy the expensive screws that you don't have to predrill, it is worth it.
   -I'm stronger now than I was when I used to climb 3x per week at a commercial gym.

Josh Tannenbaum · · Tampa Bay, FL · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

The first section to be built in my garage. My ceilings are only 9’ 7” but I still get 11” of climbing surface on this 30 degree wall. I’ve got another 8’ wide section that will be 15 degrees caddy corner to this wall, a 4’ wide vertical section for niece and nephews, and a Treadwall PE that will mirror my current wall to round it out and make it a sort of cave. More pics to follow. (Yes the treadwall is not going to fit as is, I’m going to extend into the attic to make it fit)

null
Tanner Wilks · · Orem, UT · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

Still need a name for my woody. All I need now is more bolts for all the holds. roughly 14 feet tall from carpet to highest point. 
Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Tanner Wilks wrote:

Still need a name for my woody. All I need now is more bolts for all the holds. roughly 14 feet tall from carpet to highest point. 

Looks great, what did you use for pads?

Tanner Wilks · · Orem, UT · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5
Brad Johnson wrote:

Looks great, what did you use for pads?

We went to a local upholsterer and then took him to a near by gym and we looked inside the pads and kinda just recreated them. This way we wouldn't have to pay for shipping and it was a little cheaper than most pad companies. It's been working great

Kyle Donaghey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 450

My baby... it’s has evolved a little since inception and will continue to evolve. I began with doing a shortened version of a moonboard, ceiling only 9’6” prevented me from doing the full 3 pieces of 8x4 plywood. I also felt like I wasn’t quite ready for the 40 degree, wall is only 25 degree as of right now. I’ve changed my focus from bouldering to sport climbing and put 4 hangers at the top, I can now “route climb” by climbing hard to the top, clip, easy downclimb, repeat. The holds are fairly positive/easy for endurance training, sesssions on this may include 8-12 minutes on the wall without dropping. As I improve I’ll incline the middle section of the plywood to 40 and make a new top section. One thing I really like is keeping a nice color scheme of the holds similar to modern gyms like momentum, esthetics are just cool to me. Loving e-grip and some of the cheaper sets of kilter right now, they are more like natural rock than the original systems I bought from nicros

Max McGaffin · · Heath, TX · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
randy baum wrote: Spray wall. 8'x12'. Around 500 small holds. Most are screwed on, no bolts. Lots of plastic holds (look closely and see the Moonboard) but also many homemade wooden grips. Shelving in back. Hangboard on side. Rings and TRX in front of wall. Small wall with endless possibilities for straight-forward, outdoor-style boulders. 

Where did you get all those holds?

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 4,235

About to reset in the next few weeks, had to have just one more wall night.

Kyle Donaghey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 450
Tavis Ricksecker wrote: About to reset in the next few weeks, had to have just one more wall night.

This way past a woody, like a legit home bouldering gym. Love the volumes and the variation of wall angles. Tape always drove me nuts, same color problems is a little more limiting but that’s what I’d try on a reset... do what works for you though, amazing work

Thanks man, yeah the tape is a little out of control, maybe this next reset we will try colored problems intead. 

Charlie S · · Ogden, UT · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,146

Small section of a floorless monitor barn turned into a climbing space. Left to right:
Campus board with Moon half spacing
16’x12’ 15 degree wall
8’x12’ 30 degree wall (hidden behind the Moonboard)
40 degree Moonboard

Might break out into one of the other sections for a steeper cave one day.
Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Charlie S wrote:

Small section of a floorless monitor barn turned into a climbing space. Left to right:
Campus board with Moon half spacing
16’x12’ 15 degree wall
8’x12’ 30 degree wall (hidden behind the Moonboard)
40 degree Moonboard

Might break out into one of the other sections for a steeper cave one day.

What are those blue mats you have over there? 

That looks like a legit training room, except where are the hangboards?

Charlie S · · Ogden, UT · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,146
Brad Johnson wrote:
What are those blue mats you have over there?
Gymnastic pads that a local university was selling for pennies on the dollar. They’re 7” thick and covered with waterproof vinyl. A heck of a find!

Tavis Ricksecker wrote: That looks like a legit training room, except where are the hangboards?
In the climate controlled house. Heating of the barn is pretty easy with propane, but I don’t have AC out there...yet.

Yeah climate control is key, i've found :)

Greg Koeppen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

My garage woody, adjustable from 50° down to about 20° overhanging.  Got a few more holds on it now but works really well.  If only the newest moonboard holds wern't so expensive.....
F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 526

Love these setups. Anyone have the adjustable crack on theirs?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "What does your Woody look like??? 2.0"