Mountain Project Logo

What do you use to communicate?

Original Post
Linda R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Guys, what do you use to communicate with each other while hiking? Cell phones or walkie-talkie or smth?

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Was gonna ask same thing. Communication while hiking is no concern but really wander routes w lots of drag that makes communication through the rope difficult. Walkie talkie seem obvious but is there a small earpiece mic setup like how motorcyclists use to communicate to each other? I believe those setups are voa Bluetooth and so phone battery life would have to be watched

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

While hiking? Just my voice, I guess. How far ahead of your partner are you planning to hike?

While climbing, I usually either yell (especially at Tahquitz) or use rope tugs. Walkie-talkies might be nice if it's extra windy/loud, or you don't know your partner well enough to use the rope to communicate. BUT, you won't look cool.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

Here's what I do.  The "pump" (my lungs) must produce adequate airflow and air pressure to vibrate vocal folds. The vocal folds then vibrate to use airflow from the lungs to create audible pulses that form the laryngeal sound source. The muscles of the larynx adjust the length and tension of the vocal folds to ‘fine-tune’ pitch and tone. The articulators (the parts of the vocal tract above the larynx consisting of tongue, palate, cheek, lips, etc.) articulate and filterthe sound emanating from the larynx and to some degree can interact with the laryngeal airflow to strengthen it or weaken it as a sound source.

I also use rope signals.

Nick Sweeney wrote: Here's what I do.  The "pump" (my lungs) must produce adequate airflow and air pressure to vibrate vocal folds. The vocal folds then vibrate to use airflow from the lungs to create audible pulses that form the laryngeal sound source. The muscles of the larynx adjust the length and tension of the vocal folds to ‘fine-tune’ pitch and tone. The articulators (the parts of the vocal tract above the larynx consisting of tongue, palate, cheek, lips, etc.) articulate and filterthe sound emanating from the larynx and to some degree can interact with the laryngeal airflow to strengthen it or weaken it as a sound source.

I also use rope signals.

You use rope signals when hiking? 

Floyd Eggers · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 341

Rope tug, especially during the crux portion. You want to do it hard enough to ensure he knows your talking to him. A simple Morse code paragraph will suffice.
I haven't had a need to communicate long distance while hiking, besides yelling "hurry up". If you are splitting up to route find or are leaving a hurt partner, then I would suggest electronic communications or smoke signal.
What is the need for the communication? 

Sterling Falconer · · California · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I usually carry a bullhorn

John Clark · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 372

I typically use Whale calls and high velocity particle collision physics for wave based communication. Go to Hiking Project for less sarcastic answers.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

on climb of multiple pitch, it is often most simple to simple cut the rope rather than attempt difficult communicationz, leaving them behind the inferior partner

John Clark wrote: I typically use Whale calls and high velocity particle collision physics for wave based communication. Go to Hiking Project for less sarcastic answers.

I've been projecting a hike. It goes at 5.10b rated r..... ...There's really a hiking project XD?

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Sterling Falconer wrote: I usually carry a bullhorn

standard rack for tahquitz, right?

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, Maine · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 160

Talking (hiking), shouting (climbing), rope-tugs (climbing, if out of shouting distance). And sometimes just by glances, smiles, nods and something that feels like telepathy (I've had the same climbing partner for a really long time.)

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,187

I just leave pee mail. Works for my dog.

Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 10

I punch my partner in the dick in repeated jab-then-power shot patterns, with the goal of expressing my message in morse code.

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
Cell phones or walkie-talkie or smth?
Did you... did you just give up on typing before reaching the end of your question?
Pepe Climbs Rocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0
Eric wrote: I punch my partner in the dick in repeated jab-then-power shot patterns, with the goal of expressing my message in morse code.

This is sexual harassment and has no place on MP.com.

Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 10
Pepe Climbs Rocks wrote:

This is sexual harassment and has no place on MP.com.

There is nothing sexual about punching my partners in the dick to communicate.

It is a cherished cultural practice.
Pepe Climbs Rocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Smoke Signals:

1 Puff: On belay

2 Puffs: Climbing

3 Puffs: Watch me Daddy-O! Feeling a little off-balance.

4 Puffs: ur on belay dude, come on up and join the party. I can feel the wind blow but can't see it....tee hee hee....

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 775
Peter Lewis wrote: Talking (hiking), shouting (climbing), rope-tugs (climbing, if out of shouting distance). And sometimes just by glances, smiles, nods and something that feels like telepathy (I've had the same climbing partner for a really long time.)

Same. Nods and thumbs up make up the bulk of my signals. We keep commands really simple. 

Radios on windy, wandering, and/or ledgy routes. 
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Linda R wrote: Guys, what do you use to communicate with each other while hiking? Cell phones or walkie-talkie or smth?

At the risk of giving a serious answer - not sure why you would want to communicate with your hiking partner, other than talking. Are you planning on hiking some distance from each other? In the mountains, you're not usually going to get cell service. Walkie-talkies are pretty good, if you're within range and don't have obstacles between you. I don't know if walkie-talkings require line-of-sight.

For climbing, you can use walkie talkies, but as alluded to above, you will be pilloried as a "noob." That's the last thing you want (that may not matter to you or me), but they work. If it's a regular climbing partner, you can work out a system that doesn't require yelling or walkie-talkies.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What do you use to communicate?"