Mountain Project Logo

Black Diamond X4's .75 question?

Original Post
Sam Striano · · Salem, OR · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I picked up a couple of these at REI for $39 a piece, brand new, but I noticed the sling dates to be 2015 and 2016. What is the life span of those slings, and if they literally just sat in a stock room that long does that time even count?

Are they worth keeping?

matt carpenter · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 405

I have slings on BD cams dates dated 2007, I still whip on them with no fear. As long as they look good they are most likely good.

BrokenChairs ~ · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235
Sam Striano wrote: I picked up a couple of these at REI for $39 a piece, brand new, but I noticed the sling dates to be 2015 and 2016. What is the life span of those slings, and if they literally just sat in a stock room that long does that time even count?

Are they worth keeping?

The slings will be the least of your concerns with those floppy cams.  You might find this interesting: blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

BrokenChairs BrettC wrote:

The slings will be the least of your concerns with those floppy cams.  You might find this interesting: blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

I am pretty green to cams, could you elaborate on what you are saying? I have read some people love them, and other complain they are a bit floppy. I don't have enough experience to really understand. LOL

Kevin Shoemaker · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 25
Sam Striano wrote: I picked up a couple of these at REI for $39 a piece, brand new, but I noticed the sling dates to be 2015 and 2016. What is the life span of those slings, and if they literally just sat in a stock room that long does that time even count?

Are they worth keeping?

No, give them to me and ill whip on them for you.

James Schroeder · · Sauk County, WI · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,108

I love my X4's and I too have cams with slings on my rack back to 2014 at least. I'd say get them reslung when worn or every five to ten years depending on your storage habits.

BrokenChairs ~ · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 235
Sam Striano wrote:

I am pretty green to cams, could you elaborate on what you are saying? I have read some people love them, and other complain they are a bit floppy. I don't have enough experience to really understand. LOL

This is just my opinion: I have a full rack of x4's and really like the smaller sizes up to .4.  The .5 performs well enough I just think it's a little heavy.  The .75 I feel like the head is too heavy compared to the length of the stem and so it feels floppy when I go to place it.  I find the C4 to perform much better at getting a quick precise placement in when I'm pumped.  If you're looking for the benefits of the super flexible stem I find that the UL Masters cams in the Orange through Black sizes perform much better than the x4s and are much lighter. That said I still use my green X4 but it's not my go to cam I usually don't bring it unless I know I'm going to need more than two cams in that size for something. However, you got a pretty good deal so you can't really complain too much they will still get you up pitches and catch falls which is really what's important.  If you were paying full price (which you should never do) dollar for dollar the Master cams are the way to go here if you're doubling up on your C4 rack. Better yet get Totems!

Cheers happy climbing. 
Señor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Sling "expiration" is a totally arbitrary concept. There's no decay of slings that happens when they're just sitting in a dark, dry box in a store room. BD puts expiration dates on things like ropes and slings to reduce liability because people have a tendency to keep using both even after they've been worn too much. But your X4s are good for a decade, at least.

Brian Sabo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 10

Are they worth keeping?

I have never seen them that cheap.  Was this an online deal?

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,749

Are they worth keeping?

Yes.

Ernest W · · Camarillo, CA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 25

I replace soft goods, including dogbones and cam slings every 7-10 years (assuming they’ve been stored properly) or sooner if worn.  Yours have plenty of life left!

Señor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Brian Sabo wrote:

I have never seen them that cheap.  Was this an online deal?

It was both online and in REI stores. I got a .5/.75 X4 offset on the same deal. 

Señor Arroz wrote:

It was both online and in REI stores. I got a .5/.75 X4 offset on the same deal. 

Yes it was at a store.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

Just check to see if you can fully retract the lobes.many x4s had poorly glued trigger cords that didn't let you fully retract the cam. That's a recipe for a stuck cam.

Emory Clark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/experience-story?cid=qc-lab-ultimate-strength-gear-testing

Your piece will blow before the slings unless the slings have significant wear and tear.  

Climb on
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Black Diamond X4's .75 question?"