Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Unknown brand of cams

Original Post
Ryan Walton · · Slippery Rock, PA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Is anyone aware of this logo? It is from an old set of cams I purchased recently, they seem to be in great shape but are old and I’d like to learn some history on who makes them.
Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50

Do you have a picture of the cam? Or just a close up of the tag.  I would guess that it could also be the logo from someone who put a new sling on the cam

Ryan Walton · · Slippery Rock, PA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Ryan Swanson wrote:
Do you have a picture of the cam? Or just a close up of the tag.  I would guess that it could also be the logo from someone who put a new sling on the cam

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Looks like a Trango Flexcam/Rock Empire Robot. Basically the same cam made by Hudy, Czech Republic. 

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

On that note (and apologies for diverting the thread a bit) I have a set of Hudy tapered stoppers probably from the mid 90s. Unused. Any concerns?

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Nope. No concerns. By the 90s they should have been CE certified. 

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,100

Ah ha!!  Hudy.  I have some of those cams I bought at the BD parking lot swap like 15 years ago.
I especially like how they have long triggers so you can reach placements better than a lot of other cams. They are a simple stiff single axle design that is  lighter weight  than other cams on the market (maybe not ultralights but lighter than most others). They’d make a good set of alpine cams. The workmanship is nice and they are less clunky than the Trangos or rock empires of the time.  I just had mine reslung with BD c4 color scheme slings by runoutcustoms.com.  

Thanks Schmuck for letting me know what those cams are that I’ve been plugging for the past 15 years. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Unknown brand of cams"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion