Mountain Project Logo

Sticky c3’s

Original Post
Dead Head · · an asshole · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

When I contract my c3 lobes, they feel sticky and make a sandy noise.  I haven’t had much chance to use them yet, so I don’t know what’s going on.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Maybe try cleaning them? Pull the trigger rapidly, numerous times, while swirling the cam in a pan of hot water.

Dead Head · · an asshole · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
FrankPS wrote: Maybe try cleaning them? Pull the trigger rapidly, numerous times, while swirling the cam in a pan of hot water.

Can't the water rust them after?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

No. It's how you clean a dirty or sticky cam.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 240

I even boil a pot of water on the stove and manipulate the cam head in the water.   Let it dry and you can use some cam lube if you want.   I have always used a drop or  two of WD40 on the lobes and then manipulate the lobes while blowing the excess off with an air compressor.  Many of the cams I have are 20 plus years old and still working great using this method.  

Caz Drach · · Sugarhouse, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

I usually used some warm water and dish soap with a toothbrush, then scrub, then dip in some hot water to rinse, let dry, and cam lube or chain lube. 

Xan Calonne · · Joshua Tree, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 35

I have a basically new yellow c3 that does the same thing. My older red and green ones are fine though. I think after extended use and proper cleaning mentioned above, the issue goes away. ymmv.

rusty pitoune · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 755

Because the wires are internal, if they are bent wrong c3s get sticky. Rebend them back to alignment and the cams won't be sticky any more. I've been through it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Sticky c3’s"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion