Mountain Project Logo

ideas for wall rescue and self rescue practice near boulder?

Original Post
Bogdan P · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 290

I'm looking for somewhere in the front range, ideally near boulder that would make for good self rescue/wall rescue practice. Thinking easy bolted route that still relatively steep and not otherwise popular, perhaps with a walk off at the top and chains, making rigging access straightforward and easy. Any ideas that have worked for you in the past?

Used to do this stuff at a gym before moving here, but I'm not in with any of the gym employees around, and doubt I'd be allowed to engage in anything out of the ordinary like self rescue practice at any of the local gyms.

T G · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

The following suggestion doesn't really meet any of your criteria except for easily-accessible bolted anchors and a couple of readily-accessible trees for rigging. Below Supremacy Rock in Eldo there's a low-angle slab on the north aspect, directly above the road. It's often used for top-roping with kids-- look for the routes named "Play Time" and "Time Out". A group of us have used this area for practicing rescue techniques in the past. Unfortunately it's not vertical and it can be popular, but it's easily accessible and has good stances at the top and bottom of the slab for anchoring and rigging.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Hope you find a spot where you aren't monopolizing a crag other climbers want to get on. I've heard about this happening in past

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
cragmantoo wrote: Hope you find a spot where you aren't monopolizing a crag other climbers want to get on. I've heard about this happening in past
Yes that would be soo terrible, someone hogging the route you want to get on while learning to save your ass!
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 574

Most of the places I can think of are pretty short, but here are some ideas.
Keep in mind that I haven't ever tried to make sure the anchors can be reached by scrambling, but I'm thinking they can...

In Boulder Canyon-
The Lookout and the Hideout.
Middle Bowling Alley, but these routes can be popular, so maybe during the week.

Some of the less popular routes at Sport Park could work.
The left side of the west face of Surprising crag, maybe some of the leftmost routes on the Clocktower.
The upper crags don't see as much traffic- ie the Visor and the Recovery Room.

At Nip and Tuck, you can scramble to the anchors of the 12a/b. Can't remember the name off hand.

I've seen mini-traxers at Coney, so that might work.

North Table Mountain has plenty of options, but it's a hellish inferno until late Fall. Not that much better even then :-)

Stagg54 Taggart wrote: Yes that would be soo terrible, someone hogging the route you want to get on while learning to save your ass!

Got nothing against learning to save one's ass but don't want to see any more threads on MP complaining about people taking over the crag for hours. There was one a while back about people practicing aid climbing at Castle Rock and nobody able to climb. Personally, I just go climb somewhere else but...

Wood's Quarry is a steep slab with bolts. Not a walk off but I rarely ever see anyone climb there and the climbing is actually pretty good

Bogdan P · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 290
cragmantoo wrote:

Got nothing against learning to save one's ass but don't want to see any more threads on MP complaining about people taking over the crag for hours. There was one a while back about people practicing aid climbing at Castle Rock and nobody able to climb. Personally, I just go climb somewhere else but...

Is this the thread you're talking about?

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/109517984/what-is-this-world-coming-to#ForumMessage-109518662

Two things, (1) I asked for places that aren't popular, so for my part I recognize there's an overuse problem and I'm trying not to contribute to it. (2) I have no sympathy for these people, and have to wonder how you possibly could. People on mountain project who whine and complain about the most roadside crag around being too crowded are clearly either morons or trolls. This is Colorado. The roadside crags are inevitably overrun (aid climbers or not). But for the sake of everyone else who quietly handles this situation with dignity, I'll do my part to avoid popular climbs for rope work.

Thanks everyone (including cragmantoo) for the suggestions though.
Bogdan P wrote:

Is this the thread you're talking about?

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/109517984/what-is-this-world-coming-to#ForumMessage-109518662

Two things, (1) I asked for places that aren't popular, so for my part I recognize there's an overuse problem and I'm trying not to contribute to it. (2) I have no sympathy for these people, and have to wonder how you possibly could. People on mountain project who whine and complain about the most roadside crag around being too crowded are clearly either morons or trolls. This is Colorado. The roadside crags are inevitably overrun (aid climbers or not). But for the sake of everyone else who quietly handles this situation with dignity, I'll do my part to avoid popular climbs for rope work.

Thanks everyone (including cragmantoo) for the suggestions though

That's the one! No sympathy really- just don't care to see any more whiny threads. LOL. 

Appreciate your asking for non-popular places, Very considerate of you, actually.

I've climbed in CO for over 30 years and miss the "old days" when things were less crowded but, hey, things change and there is still plenty of room for all of us to climb.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "ideas for wall rescue and self rescue practice…"
in the Colorado