Mountain Project Logo

Taylors Falls top rope advice?

Original Post
Scott Williams 1 · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Hi everyone - I recently moved back to Minnesota from Colorado.  We were frequently getting out and doing sport routes out there, but it's been 15+ years since I've set a top rope.  I'm heading out to Taylor's Falls tomorrow with a buddy who also doesn't have much top rope experience.  I have a couple 15' sections of webbing, a bunch of quickdraws, and a handful of lockers.  Are there any routes that are easier to set top ropes on in Taylor's Falls area?  How much webbing is typically needed?  Anyone happen to be heading out there tomorrow after work that would want to give us a quick run down?  Thanks!

Marcus Floyd · · columbia, mo · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 3,688

Wow, have fun. I recommend at least 100 ft of webbing because I double the lengths into loops, so I end up with 50 total feet. Normally two 20 to 25 ft lengths. Also, I would contact the local admins for the area via text to ask directly.

Marcus from Missouri

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175

You have any trad gear to go with what you described? If yes, you'll be fine just may need to search closer to the edge than normal. If no, I think you'll have difficulties.

Scott Williams 1 · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

alpinejason - No trad gear, sounds like I'll need to pick up some webbing.  

Marcus - Not quiet following - do you have two 50 ft sections of webbing, doubled up into 25 ft each?  I've never posted on here before, how do I find the local admins?  Not seeing any buttons on the pages.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Scott: Get some stoppers...#7-11 is fine, maybe a couple of larger hexes #9-11.

Minnesota strip has enough climbs that are close together that you can make a day of it. 30 feet of webbing will be enough for a couple of climbs (The Bulge, Rose Bush, The Column and Columnmeister) but you'll need more if you don't have any gear.  The tie off trees and boulders are a ways back from the edge. you will need one more 15" piece to tie two pieces together with a water knot.

Also, if you want a lesson, Vertical Endeavors has instructed top rope setup classes, just google them.

Mikeyy Blisz · · Glendale Heights, IL · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 241

Check out this Top-Rope anchors class in St. Paul. Sunday May 20, $25

https://www.meetup.com/Minnesota-Climbing-Clinics/events/250854155/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Taylors Falls top rope advice?"