Mountain Project Logo

Quick Link Supplier

Original Post
a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 426

I really like using a standard bolt hanger with a stainless quick link and and stainless rap ring.  The quick links from fixe are really expensive and notoriously out of stock. Where are people buying most of there quicklinks? Online? Hardware store?

Also am I correct in understanding that the Working Load Limit is a factor (usually 1/10 or 1/5) of the ultimate breaking strength, that would give a 3/8 quicklink an actualy breaking strength of 21,000 or 10,500 lbs?! that seems really high?

Anywho those are my thoughts.... I am wondering what people are thinking. my knee jerk reaction is that most people are buying 3/8 or 1/2 inch quicklinks from the hardware store or an industrial supply

Adam

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
beach wrote: I really like using a standard bolt hanger with a stainless quick link and and stainless rap ring.  The quick links from fixe are really expensive and notoriously out of stock. Where are people buying most of there quicklinks? Online? Hardware store?

Also am I correct in understanding that the Working Load Limit is a factor (usually 1/10 or 1/5) of the ultimate breaking strength, that would give a 3/8 quicklink an actualy breaking strength of 21,000 or 10,500 lbs?! that seems really high?

Anywho those are my thoughts.... I am wondering what people are thinking. my knee jerk reaction is that most people are buying 3/8 or 1/2 inch quicklinks from the hardware store or an industrial supply

Adam

Typically I get my quicklinks on ebay, the working load limit is usually a factor of 1/4 or 1/5 the AVERAGE breaking strength (I've never seent one as low as 1/10).  Depending on the quality control of the company producing the quicklink there could be decently wide distribution of breaking strengths, but yeah, 10,000 lbs sounds about right for a 3/8" quicklink.

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 426
Dylan Pike wrote: https://www.e-rigging.com/

https://www.e-rigging.com/three-eighths-inch-Stainless-Quick-Link
I was gonna pick up some of these, I assume that this disclaimer:

"Description 3/8 in. 316 type stainless steel quick link. Working Load Limit (WLL): 2100 lbs. Warning: Not to be used for overhead lifting or climbing applications."

is just them covering their butts.

Thanks for the responses

Adam
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
beach wrote:
https://www.e-rigging.com/three-eighths-inch-Stainless-Quick-Link
I was gonna pick up some of these, I assume that this disclaimer:

"Description 3/8 in. 316 type stainless steel quick link. Working Load Limit (WLL): 2100 lbs. Warning: Not to be used for overhead lifting or climbing applications."

is just them covering there butts.

Thanks for the responses

Adam

Yep, that's just them covering their butts.  Unless you buy quicklinks from an actual climbing brand they will always have a similar disclamer.

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

Not sure hw many you need or if these are useful for your application since I think they're plated, but Backcountry is selling Trango 10mm QL's for <3$ a piece: backcountry.com/trango-quic…;ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlRyYW5nbyBDbGltYjoxOjE6MTAwMDAwMDYxX2JjLWNsaW1i

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Quick Link Supplier"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started