Mountain Project Logo

Why trad climbing?

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

Because I like showing up with my rack at a sport crag and having people point and whisper "Look, a trad climber."

Also because it makes me look really hard-core in the gym.

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Because the style of climbing I love just happens to be gear protected. Simple as that. For me, the most asthetic, striking lines with the most fun climbing are crack systems.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

For me, sport is a way to push yourself. Someone responded that sport is easy and no risk, I completely disagree. Sport is where I turn when I want to push my strength and in return I have severely been injured. Trad to me is a place for adventure and fun. I can climb less pressured and still maintain a certain fear. Getting older in my years, trad is my choice these days. Also, in my other main sport of surfing, I have topped out in my abilities. I’m as good now as I’ll ever get after over 20 years. Now it’s just enjoyable. Trad climbing gives me an outlet to be able to constantly learn new things and still push myself. I feel like I won’t ever stop learning something new in this sport and it’s the main reason why I enjoy it so much and am able to continue with new eyes. 

chrispak · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 5

Depends on the line I want to take, if its a trad line I then bring trad gear. I like bouldering, sport, and trad. We just take what the route we want to do requires, I like sport climbing because of less gear I have to carry, but 80% of the time im trad climbing. 

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

It’s all been covered, but the gear is cool, handjams are the best thing ever, and really it comes down to alpine climbing for me. I’d also add that trad climbing is a fun(?) puzzle, similar to figuring out beta. 

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Because a rack of cams and other fiddly gadgets is way cooler then just a few quick draws hanging off your harness!

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

It’s safer and cheaper than downhill mtb. 

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I rarely look at sport climb and think, "Damn that looks amazing!'" It happens all the time with trad climbs.

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

sport may be sporting, but trad is a tradition.

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Cause it’s fun....man

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Tomily ma wrote: It’s safer and cheaper than downhill mtb. 

Real downhill MTB or what they call the MTB racing these days where they build all kinds of shit to ride over? It is like comparing gym climbing to outdoor climbing.

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0
USBRIT Ross wrote: Well, sport climbing is pretty boring.. no risk.

One could say the same about leading  below your limit. 

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Rob the tricam wrote:

but they would be lying.

jay2718 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

I like trad because there are more dimensions in addition to the moves required to solve the puzzle; securing and anticipating protection, route finding, weather etc. Nowadays, I must admit, I also enjoy going to crags like RRG or Josh on a holiday weekend and basically having my choice of any trad line I want, while everyone else is lined up for the few bolted 5.10 routes that are close to the road.

As an aside, the undercurrent in many posts that sport is safe and trad is risky seems to presume climbing risk revolves around a simple question about whether the gear will hold in a fall. But falling, itself, is a much more potent factor in risk. Falling is when all bets are off, and injuries occur. In both styles, fall-related injuries are possible, even when the gear performs as expected. You can get tangled up in your rope, flipped over, hit your head, get dropped, or otherwise get slammed around. The last time I fell on on a sport climb, I missed a clip and got a long, deep vertical rope-burn on the left side of my face. Even short hang-dogging falls take a toll on your back and hips over time. Likewise, despite this era of stick clipping, neither style mitigates the potential for ground falls very well. Missing the second clip on any climb, and falling is really hazardous. The sport style is a bit more grade-centric, and necessarily emphasizes a willingness to fall as part of its ethos.

Overall, I like to avoid falling while climbing, and for better or worse, that is one reason I have a bit less passion for sport climbing.

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236
Rob the tricam wrote:

One could say the same about leading  below your limit. ...... Would never happen I like trad climbing regardless of grade... Actually prefere climbing below my grade.rather than above  . Most sport climbers climb above their grade thats why they need a bolt every few feet.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Different degree of commitment.

Having to place your own pro and string together a coherent pitch using trad gear means relying on your own ability both to climb and safely protect yourself.

Having enough bolts to clip, fall, or otherwise bail on your commitment without having to be responsible for protecting your own skin is an entirely different game.

In the more historical aspect of this difference also is embodied a rare stylistic ethic of avoiding hanging, falling, flailing etc. Times have changed. The style of yesteryear while still a worthy ideal has mostly succumbed to falling, hang dogging and the red point as goals for improvement, rather than an attitude to lead within one's ability.

Viva la difference! A time and placefor everything.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
Rob the tricam wrote:

Respectfully disagree. I love figuring out the pro and placing it, whether it's easy or with high pucker factor.

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

The tetons arent bolted duh

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Rob the tricam wrote:

Yet there is no reason one needs to lead well below their limit on gear.  Maybe you are referring to the other trad. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

I choose trad climbing because I’m as weak as runny kitten shit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Why trad climbing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started