For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

cam inspection quality

Original Post
RWPT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Was inspecting my cams and noticed that the raised portions of the lobe have worn over time and getting close to the base.  Asking if it ever wears so that everything is even, is that a time to replace them?  or replace them soon?   Or it doesn't matter at all and buy beer instead?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,790

Do you realize that some cams are made without any ridges at all?  (Mostly small ones these days, but Metolius used to eschew ridges on all sizes in their PowerCam line.)  So as long as there's not obvious flat spots, I wouldn't be too concerned.  YMMV.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

I can't really comment on the state of the cam lobes. Well, I can - but what is the point?
But, I think you should have a few beers, and use empty cans in this manner:

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Go buy some beer.

RWPT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Well then it's a good thing my town is oversaturated with micro breweries

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 115
RWPT wrote:oversaturated

No such thing sir

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,615
Caleb Schwarz wrote:

No such thing sir

Sure there is - over saturated is just another name for super saturated. True that.

To the OP, I have some getting that worn. While I have not retired them, I do tend bring them when there is a chance of needing bail anchors. :)

Bill Lawry wrote:

Sure there is - over saturated is just another name for super saturated. True that.

I was referring to the fact that you can't have too many breweries. 

Caleb Schwarz wrote:

Ah me and my tendency for going literal a bit too often.  Cheers!

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 290

I wonder if anyone has done any testing to see if the ridges make a difference in pull out strength in a parallel crack? Would not matter in a constriction, I'd guess. 

Justin Veenhuis · · Ferndale, MI · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 101

I'd get a hacksaw and carefully saw them back in if it were a concern. Also Ive read about BD testing old gear. I think it was soft goods like old ropes and webbing. Shoot them an email. If you decide to get rid of them, maybe send them to BD and have them tested so we'll all know. You could also test it yourself. The UIAA test are crazy simple and its easy to find there methods

Roamin' Buffalo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50
Justin Veenhuis wrote: I'd get a hacksaw and carefully saw them back in if it were a concern.

JESUS CHRIST DO NOT HACKSAW YOUR CAM LOBES

NathanC · · Logan, UT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10
Roamin' Buffalo wrote:

JESUS CHRIST DO NOT HACKSAW YOUR CAM LOBES

Seconded.

Hacksaw blades tend to wander, use a dremel instead
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Caleb Schwarz wrote:

And if all of them have jumped onto the excessively over-hopped IPA bandwagon, then yeah, you can indeed have too many.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Justin Veenhuis wrote: I'd get a hacksaw and carefully saw them back in if it were a concern.
Are you trolling or simply out of your mind?

Marc801 C wrote:

And if all of them have jumped onto the excessively over-hopped IPA bandwagon, then yeah, you can indeed have too many.

Fortunately I am a fan of over+hopped IPA's, so it doesn't affect me negatively. 

I make a lot of my own gear including cams. Also work at a vehicle testing facility to i can test it as well

Dremels heat the metal and can change the properties depending on the alloy. A small file would work too. Youd only take maybe 2 draws. The last cams I made I think it took 3 draws to get to depth

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

Confirmed, Justin is batshit insane. 

Adrienne DiRosario · · Troy, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Teeth in cams are not necessary. As Mike pointed out above there are brands without. Most brands put them there because people cannot wrap their heads around physics principles and fricition. The ridges make us feel better mentally. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "cam inspection quality"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion