For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Midweek Baker Ascent

Original Post
Casey M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Looking for partners for a one- or two-day ascent of Baker this month or early June. Flexible on route and whether or not skis are involved. My free days are usually Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Please have crevasse rescue training. Me: mountain rescue, WFR, AIARE 1.

Peter Lambeth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Casey. I am looking to attempt the North Ridge sometime between May 28-31. I just got back from a 4 day private guided trip on Baker. It was my third Glacier Trip (Rainier-Kautz and Shuksan-Fisher Chimneys in 2017.) Additional training on this trip included Crevasse Rescue and more Vertical Ice (I’d previously done a couple of Ice Climbing classes.) My goal of taking on the North Ridge didn’t work out because of conditions. While my Guide felt I was fully prepared to proceed we were short on time and he was concerned about visibility and snow loading on the route. We were however able to summit via Coleman-Deming. I have all the personal gear and most of the group gear (Ice Screws, Pickets) and am willing to pick up anything else we’d need. 

Casey M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Cool, I've been wanting to do North Ridge. For the ice climbing portion are you looking to lead or just follow? (And just out of curiosity, which guide were you with?)

Peter Lambeth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

So, ideally we’d share the responsibility. Having a mutually agreed upon game plan is most important. How about you; lead, follow or both? Maybe we need a way to contact each other outside of Mountain Project forums. I’m new to this platform so I’m not sure how to proceed from here.

I was with American Alpine Institute. I’d signed up for the 6 day Intro to Alpine Ice course but ended with a private 4 day because it sold out. We ended up training 2-3 days and climbed Mt. Baker on the the 4th day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Midweek Baker Ascent"
in the Pacific Northwest Partners