Mountain Project Logo

Chasing shade bouldering around Atlanta

Original Post
Matt S · · Atlanta · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm new to the Atlanta area and have my first opportunity to get outside this weekend but it's supposed to be a scorcher. I'm trying to figure out the best day trip from Atlanta where I could drive up early, climb the morning then drive out to a swimming hole or something on the way back.

Could anyone provide thoughts/tips on the shade/activity potential that the major crags hold in the area? We're mainly looking for bouldering as we don't have racks yet but we're open to anything. I assume that Stone fort and Rocktown are a bit more wooded than HP40, is this correct?

Any tips/personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Kyle Askew · · Decatur · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Howdy man,

I havent been to Stone Fort or Rocktown, but some buddies went last weekend to Rocktown and said it wasnt too bad. Pretty shaded/wooded. HP40 had some areas that were pretty shaded when I went a few months ago. Gotta be some good Bama swimming holes along the way.

Not saying its the best or most exciting option, but you can always boulder Boatrock early and then hit Sweetwater creek to cool down. Or catch the sundown session..

Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 66

Foster Falls near Chattanooga has a lot of sport, is wooded, and you can swim under the waterfall that is on the hike out from climbing.
Sand Rock in AL will be a little warmer, but you can drive 30 minutes to swim and jump off the cliffs in Little river canyon afterwards.  https://goo.gl/maps/vaJFruk1Zf12 

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 334

Bouldering in the south during the summer is tough. Most people do night or early morning sessions to try to avoid the heat, but during midsummer it never really gets cool or dry. If you're willing to drive a little bit further, there are some spots in NC (Linville and near Boone) that stay cooler later into the season, but again it's not ideal. 

Jim Corbett · · Keene, NY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 10

The passages at Sandrock stay about as cool as anything, but in general the summers suck in the south, which is one of the primary reasons I left. As I got older it just wasn't worth getting out to try and climb from the end of May until at least mid-Sept., which was just unacceptable.

Matt S · · Atlanta · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone, I sort of figured I'd need an early morning or late evening start to the climbing day. I appreciate the help!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Chasing shade bouldering around Atlanta"