Mountain Project Logo

North Carolina Mountain Rescue boots

Original Post
Mac McMahan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

At the tail end of winter I purchased a pair of La Sportiva Trango Cubes. I like them because they are light and stiff enough to handle rugged terrain while carrying heavy loads and are not insulated, so that I can wear them on summer rescues in the sweltering heat of the southeast. However that might be a problem when next winter rolls around. We do not get brutally cold conditions here, but it does get cold enough that being out for several days in uninsulated boots would be uncomfortable. Would simply doubling up on the socks and using hand warmers work, or do any of you experts have a better idea to keep cold feet from making me another patient? (I cannot afford a pair of winter specific boots)

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 43

I would be hard pressed to believe that if you're boots fit appropriately for summer wear that you'd have enough room for a second set of socks and hand warmers. Additional socks and hand warmers are likely to cut off circulation, and the hand warmers will likely be starved of oxygen in such a tight boot.

A better solution is probably electric heated socks or insoles.

Thanks, I’ll definitely look into that. I can fit 2 pair of socks by removing the padded tongue, but haven’t tried it with hand warmers yet.

How are the electric socks powered?  Do they have built in batteries or an umbilical to batteries in your pocket?

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0
  1. It sounds like you got one boot that will accomplish nothing well. They’re sized too large for summer use. As a winter boot it’s only 3/4 shank and un-insulated. Anything vertical will get old quick 
Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Use vapor barrier liners (improve warmth, keep the boot from getting wet from inside) and insulated supergaiters.  Or buy some plastic double boots for really cheap, but they suck for long hikes.

They actually fit quite well in the summer, I can lace them down incredibly snugly on a single pair of socks. I will admit that they will not climb vertical ice well, but that is not what I purchased them for. Most of what I use them for is steep, offtrail rhodo-neering, in conditions from summer thunderstorms and sweltering heat to moderate snow and ice. I figured this would be a good all around boot (I know that all around boots don’t really do anything well), plus it was on sale and I’m a broke college student. 

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 90

I’d guess super gaiters would be the answer. Get to keep the same sock combo as summer. Add a little warmth. Also shouldn’t be that expensive.

Unfortunately I’m not sure who makes them anymore besides 40 below and theirs need to be glued to your boot. 

I’ll look into that, thanks. 

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/03gaiters.html

I have a pair, unused, if you're interested.  Need to check the size.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,785
climbing coastie wrote: I’d guess super gaiters would be the answer. Get to keep the same sock combo as summer. Add a little warmth. Also shouldn’t be that expensive.

Unfortunately I’m not sure who makes them anymore besides 40 below and theirs need to be glued to your boot. 

+1 for insulated supergaiters.  Also get some insoles AKA footbeds that are designed for warmth.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "North Carolina Mountain Rescue boots"
in the Mountaineering