Mountain Project Logo

temperatures in Valley, Leap, other e. Sierra May-Sept

Original Post
richard aiken · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

would a few of you with experience climbing in various seasons give me your opinions as to when it is usually too hot to comfortably climb in those areas? High 70s is pushing my comfortable range.
I won't be doing long multipitch so I won't be on the walls for a long time

I will start a climbing trip May 22 and end mid-Sept and want ideas of when to not be there. I can go all over the west and Canada.  Also, are any of those areas easy to find climbing partners for up to mid-5.10s
Same question about north Utah, City of Rocks, Wyoming and S. Dakota (I will post similar Qs on those areas too)
thanks

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 90

With those dates I’d start in the Valley and move to Tahoe area when it gets to warm in June. Climb Tahoe for a month and head to the East Side (be aware of afternoon thunderstorms). End the trip with a few weeks in Tuolumne. 

ColinW · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70
climbing coastie wrote: With those dates I’d start in the Valley and move to Tahoe area when it gets to warm in June. Climb Tahoe for a month and head to the East Side (be aware of afternoon thunderstorms). End the trip with a few weeks in Tuolumne. 

Solid advice shipmate!    I've been in the Valley during August and the temperature can be just as high as the number of tourists trying to get in the park. Early spring or fall is the time to be there. Valley first, then head east to Tahoe and your other areas. 

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 617

My experience with the California areas you are asking about is that the temps are managed with sun vs shade.  Except for the valley, which will be pretty hot even in the shade by June.
For example, in the Meadows in the morning, stuff on Lembert, Fairview, Medlicott etc can be quite cold, while Stately Pleasure can be hot.
In Rock Creek, Gong Show area can be too hot til it goes in the shade around 2, while Patricia Bowl can be chilly all day.  It just depends on the cloud cover, the high for the day, and what direction the cliff faces. But you can almost always find stuff that’s a good temp. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "temperatures in Valley, Leap, other e. Sierra M…"
in the Northern California